Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,298

1 members and 2,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just thought Id pass on a bit of info. I rescently talked to a breeder Alex Hue ( check out his website alexhuereptiles.com)

I asked Alex if mice or rat pups were better for young BPs. He explained that for the first 4 months or so calcium is extremely important to the growth and bone developement of young snakes. That being the case he recommended feeding adult mice at least every other feeding as aposed to rat pups. Rat pups tend to help fatten up snakesbut its the mature bones filled with calcium that will affect the snakes actual growth length wise. After 4 months he said they can then be switched to a diet of rat fuzzies and so on.

Again he said he tends to give a rat pup everyother feeding,but stressed the need of the calcium found in mature mice wich will affect growth lengthwise as aposed to the animals girth and weight.

If you guys knew all this already (wich you probably did) just ignore me.

A Word On Mice Vs Rat Pups

Interesting info....it makes sense I suppose. Although I do not know how substantiated it is. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    If my snake is 26" long but pretty slim still, any ideas on age?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the interesting point of view. It sounds like a valid theory. My question would be how easy is it to switch a bp back and forth between the two? From all I've read, many bp's tend to be picky and will refuse one or the other because they've developed a preference.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well with my ball pythons both are very good eaters they take pretty much what ever i give them except those frozen mice but i have tried. They love to eat and Jojo especialy he is thick. I think that if you get your bp to eat different types of prey early on they dont mind later on down the road and i am sure they like a little variety. But my other BP is a little picky but will take a meal when it can. Ball pythons are picky eaters sometimes but mine are not Jojo has eaten everything from pinkies to adult mice to rat pups and ate every time.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    From all I've read, many bp's tend to be picky and will refuse one or the other because they've developed a preference.
    Hard to say three of my bp's now will eat anything, one is a bit pickier, but she feeds regularly for me.
    It's hard to say on the age thing, I used to concern myself with it to a certain degree, but now I can really only have a guestamite if I have some backround on said snake (which usually doesn't happen). So I never know.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/