Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

0 members and 2,905 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Cages

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok...I know I'm early to wonder about these, but I really enjoy planning ahead.

I'm not sure what brand of caging to buy to house a bp in. Here is what I want in a cage:

Something attractive
    Something that is easily displayed with a "naturalistic" setting
    Something that heats well and holds humidity (and is easily maintained)
    Something that locks (to keep kiddies out) and is secure (to keep snakies in!)

I already know an "aquarrium" tank like I have for my gopher won't work well...and is already ruled out because you can't lock it. I've looked at Visions, Animal Plastics, and Boaphile.

Does anyone have any experience with these or others? (We're not "handy" sort of people so building our own isn't really an option.)
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    theres nothing wrong at all with housing in tanks, fyi. tops can be easily modified, and temps and humidity also with a little time and effort. i love using tanks to house bp's in. makes for a nice roomy, happy home.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks

The almighty Sage

I use a 40 gallon tank right now, and it can be locked. It is one of those sliding lids that have a little thing on the front to put a tiny lock on. That was a selling point because I can lock my kids out of it and lock the bp's in.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    aquariums work fine. if you get one, you will need one with a sliding screen top. if you cant get one with a sliding screen top, you will just have to weigh the lid down with books. humidity can be a problem with screen tops. a quick and effective way to fix that is to cover about 2/3 - 3/4 of the screen with duct tape. there are several people on this site that have done that. if the humidity still isnt high enough you can buy a reptiflo. Will did a review of that product on this site. the only other problem with aquariums is that the snake may feel "insecure". i dont know why people say that...as long as you provide sufficient hides, that wont be a problem.
    do you have a pet store near you that deals mainly with reptiles? if you do, you should go there and see what they have for cages. you should definatley find glass cages with sliding screen tops there. but you may also see some vision cages or other like them. they may also have wooden cages, but maybe not. the reptile store near me has kits for you to put them together yourself and already built ones. i dont know if other stores have things liek that or not.
    hope i helped ya somehow!

Banned
    Thanks
    If you have 125 spare you can get a 75 gallon sized plastic cage complete with a heating fixture. These things hold humidity very well.

And if you don't care about looks, you could convert a rubbermaid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I use a 40 gallon tank right now, and it can be locked. It is one of those sliding lids that have a little thing on the front to put a tiny lock on. That was a selling point because I can lock my kids out of it and lock the bp's in.
    Ohhh yeah. I use a smaller tank for my gopher, but it has the same lid. It didn't occur to me that there are tiny little padlocks I could buy to use in place of the platic pins that keep the top closed now. I'll keep that in mind. However, I am having trouble keeping the tank warm enough even for a gopher (who uses much lower temps than a ball). I'll never know when we'll live in such a cold climate as this (or colder!)

Quote Originally Posted by BallKingdom
    If you have 125 spare you can get a 75 gallon sized plastic cage complete with a heating fixture. These things hold humidity very well.
    Where would I find that? Sounds like a bargain!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    that would be found at http://www.precisioncaging.com .
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Will! Got it bookmarked.
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    If you look in my album I got pics of mine. They look and work real nice.