Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

2 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Water Dish Question

well im just wondering if keeping the humidity at 70-80% when my snake is not shedding is ok.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

humidity question

i'd drop it down to about 65 or 70 when it's not shedding.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    even as low as 50 but no higher than 70 on a regular basis
    any more or any less will cause RI's
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    and ask people who know, ri's are no fun at all.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I thought temp was the most important factor in RI's? My humidity is usually around 55% or so, but at times when I need to raise the temp of the tank the humidity can drop to 40%. How bad is this?

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, lower would simply cause awful sheds and dehydration. Most likely below 45 for any extended period will result in dents in the snake's eye due to dehydration. And, yes, it is rumored that sustained high humidiy over 70% will cause RI, this is false. I too believed it, but have gotten good evidence against it. For one, RI is caused by bacteria in the lungs. Which result in excess mucas building up in the lungs. This could be mistaken with high humidity because that might result in fluids in the lung as well.

But, I've seen arguments from long time herpers who keep theirs at a constant 80% humidity. Quite remarkably too, they are terrific eaters. Thereby supporting my hypothesis that higher humidity levels will result in better feeding. (When my other two cages are built I will be able to perform a full fledged experiment)

The bps have not gotten RI, seem to be in excellent health, and love the environment. Would I advise a constant 80%? No, not yet. But it may not be as harmful as we've come to believe, could very well be helpful.

Thanks
    The hygrometer in my bps cage reads 30-40 whenever I check it, and I mist it daily. Is this going to be a problem?

glass tank, screen top for now. I am wondering if I can modify the lid to hold humidity better w/o sacrficing airflow.

Thanks
    Definitely. Cover 2/3 to 3/4 of the screen top with anything impermeable, such as duct tape, foil, saran wrap, plastic dropcloth, or even waxed paper and watch your humidity improve.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I'm with John. My bp is more active and has a stronger feeding response when I keep the humidity between 70-80%. It seems logical that RI could become an increased factor if you kept humidity higher AND kept a dirty environment.

High humidity, heat, and the presence of fecal matter is a great recipe for bacterial growth! So, if you want to keep higher humidity, don't forget to keep your cages meticulously clean.

K
    2.1.0 Kidletts
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Rex)
    0.0.1 Okeetee Corn (Maizey)
    1.1.0 BCI (Lancelot & Ruby)
    0.1.0 Cat (Ginger)
    1.0.0 Pughuahua (Ranger)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    I'm with John. My bp is more active and has a stronger feeding response when I keep the humidity between 70-80%. It seems logical that RI could become an increased factor if you kept humidity higher AND kept a dirty environment.

High humidity, heat, and the presence of fecal matter is a great recipe for bacterial growth! So, if you want to keep higher humidity, don't forget to keep your cages meticulously clean.

K
    Ok I'm hearing two contradicting statements in this thread, so I guess I just need some clarification -

High humidity increases the chance of getting a RI, due to conditions that facilitate bacterial growth. But someone also said low temp/humidity can cause a RI too because it weakens the boids immune system.

I think we need some numbers here, as in the IDEAL % humidity for a BP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast