Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,294

1 members and 1,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Right now our snake is 19 inches or so and fairly young. It's on a diet of small pinkies right now. The pet store feed her live, but me and Tati feed its first frozen mouse today, after convincing her for 15 minutes.

Anyway, now that we can get her to eat; if it's willing to eat every 4 days, will that help her grow better? Right now the little bp is a bit skinny and I would like to get it rounded out and a bit fatter asap. It isnt quite round yet and its spine shows slightly under its skin.

Is there any big issue with feeding your snake whenever its hungry, even if that is more than once a week :?:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question about feeding vs size....

My understanding is that they need time for their gut flora to recover from a feeding to stay healthy. That's why the feed once every 5-7 for young and every 7-10 days for adults. Overfeeding can be bad to health - just like with humans. But since your's sounds underweight possibly, I'm not sure. I'm sure others will chime in on this one.

What does he/she weigh?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I would give it adult mice or fuzzy rats......get away from the pinkies ASAP. It'll starve to death on pinkies!!!
    I would go every 5-7 days, with a rat fuzzy. That will fatten your snakie up pretty quick.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    Pinkies are mostly fat and your bp needs protein. Generally speaking, the closer the rodent is to adult, the higher the protein. An adult mouse has more protein than a rat fuzzy, but feeding fuzzy rats now will make it easier to feed it rats when it's an adult instead of 3 or more mice at a feeding. Your snake should be able to eat a rodent that is as big around as the biggest part of its body, but may be reluctant if it's only eaten pinkies, so I would get something a little smaller than that to start with, but definitely bigger than it's eating now.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    like marla and Randy said pinkies are way to small a prey item even as a first meal for a BP
    I would suggest rat fuzzies for now for a couple of meals then switch it to adult mice
    and feeding it every 5 days should fatten him/her up nicely
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    Are rat fuzzies much bigger than pinkies? At this point is it to early to feed my snake a full sized mouse?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    many will contest that it is okay to feed even a hatchling hopper mice. use your best judgement, by taking the size of the snakes head and the girth of it's body into consideration.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Rat fuzzies are a little bigger than fuzies
    your snake will handle rat fuzzies just fine
    just like will said judge the prey item by the girth of the snake
    one thing is for sure though up the size of your prey items your snake is malnurished
    a few rat fuzzies will fix it up nicely
    goodluck
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    Are rat fuzzies much bigger than pinkies? At this point is it to early to feed my snake a full sized mouse?
    Rat fuzzies are going to weigh considerably more than rat pinkies on average. You can see comparable sizes at rodentpro.com. It is definitely not too early to feed a small to normal-sized adult mouse to your snake, but a big mouse is probably too much. I'd step up a little gradually since your snake has never faced anything as large as an adult mouse yet. Rat fuzzy is probably your best bet and weighs as much as a small mouse.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    rodentpro.com sure is a great company from just a glance at their website.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast