Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,980

2 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep it may happen, Im gonna order a nice looking male from alexhuereptiles.com this wednesday and should recieve myBP on thursday. Thanks to Jeanne who searched for me and found this guy ( we'll see how everything gos)

Well Ive got three questions I realy need to get cleared up in preperation, so to you experts here it gos:

1.When the snake first arives and I open the package, should I just put the box in the enclosure and let him come out on his own, or should I pick him up and place him inside? (I know this question might sound stupid but I realy have no idea what to expect)

2. After the acclimation period (2 weeks Im guessing) do I pick him up, put him in a feeding bin, and offer food.Or do I feed him in his enclosure first to make sure he eats and than start moving him at meal time?

3. According to the website he is eating F/T mice.Should I buy both mice and rat pups, and offer one of each at meal time (one mouse first followed by one rat pup) in order to transition him into eating rats only?

BONUS QUESTION :wink: Whats the best place to buy feeders?

I could never have gotten even this far without everyones help here, thanks a bunch.

Paul "beaglegod"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thursday may be the BIG Day!!

he should be fine being picked up and placed into his enclosure... after a couple weeks, offer him a single f/t prey item... mouse or rat, doesn't really matter... he'll most likely eat one or the other if he's been started feeding correctly. i don't buy f/t but a lot of people say rodentpro is a good feeding distributer.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey Paul, congrats! You will not be dissapointed with Alex Hue. He's a real good guy. Anyhow, Will basically summed up your questions for ya. For his first feeding, try a f/t rat pup. It will be so much easier for you in the long run if the bp takes rats first off. And you can just take him out of the box when he arrives, check him over for mites, excess mucus, retained eye caps, etc. But I'm SURE you won't have to worry about that with Alex's animals. After 2 weeks of letting him be, it depends on what substrate is in his enclosure. Will you have paper towels or newspaper, or will you have something like aspen, bark, mulch, etc? If you are going to have something other than paper towels or newspaper, I would say definately put him in a separate box to feed him. If you are using newspaper or paper towels, it's up to you if you want to take him out to feed him. I just feed mine in their enclosures with paper towels, and they aren't showing any signs of aggression due to a feeding response. So that's up to you.

Now, for the Bonus Question , I order frozen prey off of: www.bigcheeserodents.com , Chad is who you can talk to, they are really great, and the prices aren't too bad at all. Rodent Pro (rodentpro.com) is good, and I have never used them because I have heard that they aren't very prompt when it comes to shipping, but otherwise pretty good service. There is also www.mousefactory.com I have heard great stories about them.

Jennifer

Thanks
    And I'd like to add that www.gourmetrodent.com is another good source and distributes through Petco stores as well, so if you have a Petco nearby you can just pick up whatever you need until you've established a regular food and pattern.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    thanks, ive got a petco 5 minutes away, I just love convenience :mrgreen:

Man I am so excited, I hope my boy doesnt get to me frozen like a popsickle :shock: it is arctic out here in jersey!!

Thanks
    Ain't convenience great! I'd call them if I were you and make sure your store carries them, but as far as I know they all do. Still, better safe than sorry. And good luck with the snake arriving ok! I'm sure alex will pack him fine, but then you have to have cooperation from the shipping carrier and weather, too. You have the enclosure all set up with temps and humidity, right? I know you were working on that.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So far so good I just hooked up a lamp dimmer to one of my heating pads and it works wayyy better than that rheostat I returned.

Hot side-88-90

Ambient Temp-79-80

Humidity 56-61%

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    sounds good. you could get the hot side temps up a tad bit...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Sounds good! What are your cool side temps? Same as ambient or a little warmer?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    cool side (and I mean allll the way on the other side) is at 81.9 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast