Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

1 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question How would you tell her..?

Hey guys!
    My best friend, jealous of my crested geckos, decided to get herself her own little Leo! I'm very happy for her, and she loves her girl so much. But, after owning her leopard gecko for under a month, she's wanting a blue tongue skink and/or a fat tail. Which is great, but I just feel like she hasn't done enough research, nor does she have the time. She's a very busy person, and I know she's been stressed having 5 dogs and a foster, I just don't want her to get ahead of herself! I know I did... I don't want her to go through the same thing I did (and many reptile owners do at the beginning!), and get so caught up in getting new animals she falls short of attention/care for her other animals. I feel like she needs to take it slow and own her other gecko for a while and make sure she doesn't get tired of her before getting more. How would you tell someone this? I don't want to come off rude, and as much as I want to support her and I'm so happy she's loving reptiles like this, I just want the best for her and her potential animals. Sorry if this is an odd question! Thanks
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-07-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Many times, new reptile owners (including me - lol) are in love with their new babies. Then they see the VARIETIES out there and just instantly love them all.
    And it seems so easy to amass more because they require less daily care than a dog and are contained in cages.
    What if you addressed it like this, as a “thing” that everyone goes through? If she really wants more, it’s worth waiting because no way can she own them all, and the wait gives her time to see all that’s out there before she commits to more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Just tell her what you just told us.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Talk her into a BTS and when all of the lizards overwhelm her, you can get a free BTS
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    RAS (reptile acquisition syndrome) is highly contagious, I agree that you might try to warn her...that's what friends do. It's not a "weird" question at all, it's a good one!
    And once a person has it, it can take YEARS to develop immunity, trust me on that. (you could show her this thread?)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DLena (05-09-2018),Zincubus (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    There is no immunity. I buy snakes like women buy shoes......this is me every few months....
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-08-2018),Bogertophis (05-08-2018),Reinz (05-08-2018),Zincubus (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Fortunately AFT's are very similar to leopard geckos in care requirements, they just need to be more humid.

I would start by asking her how she plans to handle quarantine because there are lizard diseases that are highly contagious and deadly, and see how she responds.

Thanks

Re: How would you tell her..?

Woah, thanks guys!! I've told her before she should really pace herself, as is it easy to get overwhelmed! But back then I said I started my sentence with an "I mean if you want to then that's ok but uh" So I probably wasn't that convincing lol. Thank you guys all for your quick replies! I guess I could show her this thread, I just don't want her to take it the wrong way. I guess I could just tell her to own her leo for a month1/2-2 and see how she feels then? Tell her it's a thing that pretty much every new reptile owner goes through (Don't trust anyone with only one reptile, they must not be human), and make sure she thinks she's ready before going that next step But Sauzo I have always wanted a BTS

Thanks again everyone!
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks

Re: How would you tell her..?

[QUOTE=GpBp;2616140]Hey guys!
    My best friend, jealous of my crested geckos, decided to get herself her own little Leo! I'm very happy for her, and she loves her girl so much. But, after owning her leopard gecko for under a month, she's wanting a blue tongue skink and/or a fat tail. Which is great, but I just feel like she hasn't done enough research, nor does she have the time. She's a very busy person, and I know she's been stressed having 5 dogs and a foster, I just don't want her to get ahead of herself! I know I did... I don't want her to go through the same thing I did (and many reptile owners do at the beginning!), and get so caught up in getting new animals she falls short of attention/care for her other animals. I feel like she needs to take it slow and own her other gecko for a while and make sure she doesn't get tired of her before getting more. How would you tell someone this? I don't want to come off rude, and as much as I want to support her and I'm so happy she's loving reptiles like this, I just want the best for her and her potential animals. Sorry if this is an odd question! Thanks [/QUOTe

This is a tough one, and much depends on the personality of your best friend.
    As others have mentioned, and the rest of us have experienced, loving reptiles can be an addiction that hits hard!! Sounds like your friend is a true animal lover, and, since you didn't mention otherwise, does take care of the pets she owns. Owning those first reptiles is a pretty exciting time and sometimes it's difficult to know when to stop. Also, some people take suggestions on personal choices well, others, not so much. You are the only one who knows her and understands her most likely reaction to you expressing your concern.
    I wonder if there's a way to increase your friends' reptile work load in a way that is temporary, and doesn't require commitment. Perhaps caring for a friends' pet while they're on vacation etc. Of course this new "addition" would have to be quarantined, but so would a new lizard that she purchased so it would be a bit of a preview of what's to come. I don't know, maybe a crappy idea, I'm just trying to think of a way that will ACTUALLY show her what owning more reptiles is like. Words are not always effective when someone is in the throes of a new addiction.
    In any event, you're a great friend, and you have a bit of a dilemma. The suggestions of other members are good ones so I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you in this particular situation. Best of luck...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

GpBp (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Also you may want to drop a word in her ear that once you're known as a "reptile person", it's common to be asked if you'll take in a rescue/free critter. A month ago my QT was empty, now I have a corn snake and rat snake, both were free...

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018),DLena (05-09-2018),GpBp (05-08-2018),MD_Pythons (05-08-2018),tttaylorrr (05-08-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast