Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,003

0 members and 2,003 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    Today me and my girlfriend who has also registered on this board (Tati) purchased a Ball Python today. So far things are going great, we have a well constructed home for her in a 20gal tank, that is properly heated and suited for a bp.

The pet store that we purchased the little guy from has been raised on live food. I would prefer to give her frozen food. The pet store advised us that the snake had not eaten in 5 days now and because of this, would have to feed within the next day or so. Out of curiosity tonight Tati put in a thawed small mouse but the python didnt seem very interested. The mouse has now been lying on the ground of its home for a couple hours now and still nothing. What should we do if anything? Is this a problem at all?

Aside from that everything is great, the snake is very friendly and has no issues with being handled at all

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    read what i posted in her thread...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    wait my fault, it wasn't her thread so i'll say this again... if you just got the snake today then you shouldn't be thinking about feeding it for a week or two. you need to let it settle into it's new surroundings... when you're new to snakes, curiousity usually ends up causing them stress.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah there is alwaysa period of acclimation needed. I once stressed out massively when my tokay wouldn't eat voluntarily for a week.

Thanks
    So if she wont eat for a week or so, how do you know when she IS ready to eat? Are their signs I should look for?

Thanks
    You can watch for her to explore her tank in the middle of the night. She should be curious at night, but may hide all day. If she is exploring during the day regularly, she is probably hungry.
    When you do feed her, either she will take it, or she won't. Usually within a few minutes of putting it in, if she is going to. I agree that you should wait a week. It won't hurt her one bit.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx