Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,296

0 members and 1,296 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I had a behavioral question pertaining to snakes in general and Ball Pythons in particular.As I have stated in my previous posts I have three Ball Pythons.Now two of them are very docile and gentle - but one of them has a more aggressive and high strung temperment.What I was wondering is that is it really ever possible to tame a snake? sometimes I notice that when I do not handle my pythons everyday a little they seem to regress some...not vicious behavior, but they revert to being headshy a bit.Now we all know that these animals are not exactly mental giants and that their brain functioning is probably quite simple and primitive.Do any of you think that snakes have the capacity for learning any form of behavior or perhaps recognizing the smell of their keeper? I hope that these are not stupid questions...I have just been doing a lot of studying and observation of my snakes the last year and this was a topic I have been pondering the last few weeks.

EyeLashViper

Thanks

Can a snake ever really be considered "tame"

Personally, I do think snakes in general, including ball pythons, have the capacity for learning through operant conditioning. Essentially, that means that they can come to recognize certain smells, actions, sounds, or sights as being typically associated with certain results.

For example, if you always put the snake in a particular box to feed, I believe they can come to associate that box with feeding. Likewise, I think they can come to recognize their handlers as not being predators. Because of this, in a sense they can be "tamed," but they are always snakes and their brains are based mostly on instinct rather than learning capacity, so the tendency will be to revert to instinct if the conditioning is not regularly reinforced. This explains why snakes that are not handled regularly for a while will tend to "forget" whatever they have beeen conditioned to. This also applies to many other animals, including reptiles in general, which is why the grouchy as heck iguana that I had to handle with teflon gloves was once an easily handled family pet.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I think it depends on the snakes. I know they can recognise thier keepers smell, mine do I think cause when I am close, they are out looking for me, now whether this is smell, site or sound alone I dont know. Part of it may be they have come to realize I take them out for adventures too. As far as the snake with the questionable temperment, it sounds like you have not had him all his life..who knows what kind of crud he had to deal with before you..maybe a keeper that in reality was not as nice as you think. It sounds like he dont like to be messed with unless on his terms, so, for now, I would work on his terms, also you may just have to-period. I am hoping he may learn to really trust you.. as with any critter, trust is earned and learned. As far as head shy- mine are all great, I can do what I want with all of them at any given time, even around shed time. I think it is a learned thing for them and an earned thing for you.. not saying you are doing anything wrong, cause I have seen lots of bp's never ever tolerate any kind of head contact. It is not uncommon. By the way- nothing you ask is stupid, these are all great questions and I am sure you will get alot of other views on this.. I once asked a question like this when I first got my first bp.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I firmly believe that snakes do in fact think logically, and remember things... if it is handled more and more, with time it comes to realize that you're not going to try to hurt it... thus, being able to consider it "tame". I do, however, believe that they hold onto those wild instincts... i.e... no matter how long you've had the snake, if it bites you because of a feeding mistake on your part or something and gets a good grip, odds are it ain't letting go.. just like anything it would bite in the wild. my 2 cents... which is probably not worth quite 2 cents...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Banned
    Thanks
    Monty was ina cage with an area of 2 inches possible for escape at the top, I had not bothered to seal it yet. He used the cage for a day, but finally found it. And once he found it there was no stopping him at all. He was escaped 2 hours in my room, then I found him. I put him back in expecting him to have no escaped, but sure enough he did it again. And again, and again.

Now if this does not show logical thought, memory and intent what does? This event changed my opinion on them. Anoles are even more amazing to observe, cause their skin serves as a window to their emotional status. Reptiles in general are under rated.

Thanks

Need help with research project

I love semantics!

tame ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tm)
    adj. tam·er, tam·est
    Brought from wildness into a domesticated or tractable state.
    Naturally unafraid; not timid: “The sea otter is gentle and relatively tame” (Peter Matthiessen).
    Submissive; docile; fawning: tame obedience.
    Insipid; flat: a tame Christmas party.
    Sluggish; languid; inactive: a tame river.

do·mes·ti·cate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-mst-kt)
    tr.v. do·mes·ti·cat·ed, do·mes·ti·cat·ing, do·mes·ti·cates
    To cause to feel comfortable at home; make domestic.
    To adopt or make fit for domestic use or life.

To train or adapt (an animal or plant) to live in a human environment and be of use to humans.
    To introduce and accustom (an animal or plant) into another region; naturalize.
    To bring down to the level of the ordinary person.

Using the word "tame" in the literal sense, no, I don't think it is possible to tame a snake of any sort.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    Randy, you have a good point (and I love semantics, too!), but there was more being asked than that. ELV asked, "Do any of you think that snakes have the capacity for learning any form of behavior or perhaps recognizing the smell of their keeper?", which is really not the same as taming or domesticating the snake.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Oh, yeah! I got caught up in the whole semantics aspect of it, and forgot about the rest! Here is my take on the other question. I took the easy way out, and copied it from my website, instead of typing it all again!

My Ball Python comes out of his/her hide when I come into the room. Does he/she recognize/like me?

Snakes are not intelligent creatures in the same way that humans are. They have not evolved to write, have emotions, make fire, get drunk, or any of the other wonderful things we humans can do. They operate on a strictly instinctual level. This is the way I think snakes see the world: Everything is classified into one of three categories-
    1) Potential Predator
    2) Potential Prey
    3) Scenery
    When you first bring your new baby snake home from the pet store or breeders, it sees you as a potential predator, and is afraid of you. This is why many hatchlings are snappy. As it becomes used to your scent, and the way you handle it, it realizes that you are not a predator, and you then become part of the scenery. (It is obvious you don’t smell like a gerbil or rat!) In a way, your Ball Python classifying you as scenery is the greatest compliment it can give you. It is his way of saying, “I don’t feel threatened by you.” Additionally, your Ball Python may appear to “enjoy” you handling it because you are the perfect temperature, and it wants to absorb some of that all important body heat! Honestly, however, your Ball Python doesn't care if it is perched on you, or a heated manikin. It is just happy to feel warm and safe!
    If, on the other hand, the only time you handle your Ball Python is at feeding time, it may very well learn that when you open it’s enclosure, it’s time for chow! Your Ball Python associating you only with feeding time is something you want to avoid. Handling him/her often enough that you remain “scenery” is the best way to do this.

I think that they can learn that you are not a predator, and you are not prey, but I don't know that they discriminate any farther than that.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks

More ATB Q's

Randy, Very good point(s).

I was leaning towards the yes they can side until I read your post!

Darn, so when he slithers up under my beard he's not bonding....He's just checking out the scenery. :cry:
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    Nodding in complete agreement with Randy
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/