Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

3 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Better ASF tubs?

So here's the dilemma...
    The smallest size litter box type tubs (primarily used for mouse racks) are too small for ASFs.
    The next size up are too deep. All my babies need food thrown in or else they starve. I tried hoppers but that just seems to give the adults purchase or a gap or something to chew on the tub edges.

Does anyone know of a better tub for ASFs? Something with good floorspace but less depth?
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Re: Better ASF tubs?

I use morter mixing tubs. You can get them at Lowes or Home depot for 5 or 6 dollars each, but you would need to build a rack around the tubs you get. There some DIY plans for building Rat racks, just look up rat racks.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Pastel 0.1 Pastel Het Orange Ghost 1.1 Spider 0.1 Pinstripe 1.1 Orange Ghost 0.3 Normals 0.1 Chocolate Lesser 1.4 Lessers 0.1 Het Orange Ghost 1.1 Fire 0.2 Het Red Axanthic 1.2 Lesser Het Red Axanthic 0.1 Fire Het Red Axanthic 1.0 Black Pastel 1.0 Yellow Belly 0.1 Bumblebee 0.1 Genitic Banded 1.0 Enchi

Corn Snakes 0.1 Pink Snow

Crested Geckos 1.0 Red Harlequin 0.1 Chocolate Harlequin 0.1 Red Flame 0.1 Flame

Thanks
    I'm using sterilite modular latch boxes. They have no ridges on the sides, and have a flat lip with no curl so they can't chew. You can get them at walmart in all kinds of sizes. I think I use the 12.7 qt ones for groups of 4, but there are larger bins (at least twice the floor space) that you can get as well.

Thanks

R&DP: thanks for the suggestion but mortar tubs are too deep too. I love em for my regular rats though! Those big black tubs are definitely the best for those big guys.

Rasphutin: I guess I'll have to go to walmart.... heh been a while since I've checked their tub selection.

On another note, anyone use busing tubs?
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

Thanks
    Mortar tubs are great. Just dump the food on the bedding.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    Mortar tubs are great. Just dump the food on the bedding.
    Too much waste.

I know I sound like I'm complaining a lot, but honest. I bred ASFs for a long time tried the really deep tub set-up w/lid like in the stickies. Tried both sizes litter boxes, and mortar tubs. None of them are quite right.
    I quit breeding for a while and I'm starting up again. Which means I'd like to revamp my rack systems before they all fill up again, but I've got to get the right tubs.
    ~TruthsDeceit~

Thanks

we use dishwashing tubs from dollarama, no lip and our colonies are only 1:3 so space isnt an issue

Thanks
    We use the mortar tubs for ours but built Food hoppers to lay inside so they don't waste the food.

Thanks
    The best tubs I have used with asf rats are these from Big Apple Herp. They are expensive but I will guarantee they cannot and will not chew thru these. About 5 years ago I lost 50% of my breeders due to them chewing out of tubs and dying in my garage. I invested in some of these and have raised hundreds on asf rats in them. Five years later and they are still in mint condition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoherps View Post
    The best tubs I have used with asf rats are these from Big Apple Herp. They are expensive but I will guarantee they cannot and will not chew thru these. About 5 years ago I lost 50% of my breeders due to them chewing out of tubs and dying in my garage. I invested in some of these and have raised hundreds on asf rats in them. Five years later and they are still in mint condition
    I bought a couple of those recently, but the really large ones that are too deep for ASFs.

I plan to resolve the situation with strategically placed bricks, AKA enrichment devices AKA the climbing feature.