Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

2 members and 3,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Kind of a dumb qestion

:shock: I was just posting some opinion questions at another site, just for the heck of it and asked whats a better first snake BP or some type of boa. Well needless to say alot of people seem to like hog island boas and demurils boas. Are these proper snakes for novices to be cosidering?

Banned
    Thanks
    Not really. Dumerils get pretty big, 6 or 7 feet may not sound like a lot, but it's a totally different story when you hold one. Hogs are ok, but not better then a bp.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hog's I've heard can be alittle nippy, though I've never owned one so I can't say for sure. Those two aren't normally considered "novice" snakes. I guess if you REALLY don't want a ball python (, LOL) then just look into other snakes' caresheets, etc, and see if they are something you could care for. Then go from there. I still say a bp . If you want something a bit bigger and heftier, go with a columbian BCI. They are just as docile, but they can get BIG (UP TO 12 feet isn't impossible, but 5-8 feet is average). Have you looked into Rosy boas yet, or how about Rubber boas or Sand boas? Are you looking into strictly boids, or do you feel like wandering off into colubrids as well?

Good luck,
    Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL, no Im gonna stick with good ol BP's but you have to realise theres soooo much out there, especialy when your like me and ya dont have anything just yet except an empty enclosure. :cry:

However Ive just finished reading the ball pythons owners manuel wich raised a few interesting points. It seems to lean towards not handling BP's very much because they are easily stressed wich usualy results in them going off feed, wich results in me pulling out my hair cause I cant handle the snake. Anyway it just got me wondering if there was by some chance a better constrictor so naturaly I asked what some folks thought. I got a barage of answers IJ carpet, Demerils boa (not sure if I spelled that right), hog island, yada yada yada. But Im sure you guys will help me out when my snake decides to go Jenny Craig on me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It is a natural trait for bp's to off feed for a certain amount of time; especially during the winter, and cooler months. It must be warm for them in order to digest food properly, and they know this. If it is any cooler than what they need to digest, they simply won't eat. Their bodies are more than capable of handling it. As far as stressing them out, this can occur often. But if they are held for about 15 minutes three times a week chances are they aren't going to get stressed. I can live with that, to be honest ( and I do ); others can't. It's all up to you and what you want in a snake. You're right, there are TONS of choices out there.

Well, how about this. If you went with a bigger species, such as a BCI or hog island boa, etc, are you able to upgrade enclosure size in a year or so? What was the cage size you have again? I'm sure we can figure something out.

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    bp all the way. nuff' said.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.