Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

1 members and 2,752 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,514
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide size!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quick question on hides. What size animal would feel safe hiding in an overturned clay flower pot wich is 2 3/4 inches high and roughly 6 1/2 inches in diameter? This will help me a great deal in assesing what hides to buy/make. Thanks again.

Thanks
    it all depends on the size of the snake but the crampier the hide the better, specially when it comes to bp's.

Thanks
    As a general rule a hide box should be big enough so that the snake can curl up in it with its sides and back touching the sides and/or the top of the box.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes Ive got the general idea but I guess what Im asking is that since Ive never owned a snake I have no idea what size generaly fits. In other words the said size hide I just spoke of, you guys would probably have a good idea as to what length snake would fit cofortably. This will help me as Im furnashing the enclosure now in preperation I dont want an unhappy tenant that looks at his hide than looks at me with the "you gotta be kiddin" look. Know what I mean.

Thanks
    The best way to tell is trial and error. BP love to be in tight hides. So, you may want to try to box and see how he takes to the hide box. It is kind of hard tell what kind of box to use. I would suggest that you try it, there really aint no standard answer for that question. Sorry man.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

Thanks
    how big is bp that your talking about?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sorry bout the confusing question, I havent bought a BP yet Im furnishing the cage now I have hides the size I mentioned above, I was wondering what size animal would enjoy the hides Ive made already. But as wolfmann says gues Ill just have to wait and see.

Thanks
    I'll answer you in detail later, I really have to go.

Thanks
    If the dimensions are as you say and it is diameter and not circomference, it would be suitable for snakes up to 2' to 2.5' long. I know you're getting your setup ready and that's great, but you might want to just find a nice oatmeal box or cool whip container or something until you have the snake and can better guess what size will be a nice snug fit. He'll need hides and they should be dark and snug but they don't have to be anything fancy unless that matters to you for appearances but even so it would wait until you've passed the first week of leaving the snake alone to provide new hides.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think trial and error might work best. You want more than one hide in there anyway (at least one on each side), so if you start with some cheap hides of different sizes (get a few different sized butter tubs, etc) and that way once you get your BP home you can decide right then which ones to use. My BP likes the coconut hides you get in petstores. They come pretty small, so assuming you're starting with a young one those might be a good start. It's funny, if I go to lift it off him he gets stuff in it.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast