Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

1 members and 2,913 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    As far as heat and humidity goes, I was at my local pet store today and they told me Vigo will be fine with just the dome light. They suggested turning it off at night, it's set on one side of the tank...and not over the water. However, is his tank temperature going to drop too much overnight? I bought a thermometer to monitor it. Should I have an under tank heater or the heat pad left on all night? I don't have them yet so please advise.
    My only interest is looking after my little fellow!! I love him so!!!!!
    Thanks!
    Diana

Thanks
    Your temps can drop a little at night, but don't let him go without heat at all! Room temp for humans (68-75 or so) can cause your snake to get a respiratory infection over a long period of time. I would suggest a human heat pad. Make sure to closely monitor the temps when using both a lamp and heat pad. You don't want to overdo it!
    If you have him in an aquarium, you will probably want to put the water directly under/over a heat source, to help keep the humidity up.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    Best advice: do not listen to petstore employees about ball python husbandry unless it is a reptiles or exotics-specific shop and the employee in question has at least 2 snake-years experience specifically with ball pythons. This employee could well cause you to kill your snake if you listen to him/her.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RPlank
    Your temps can drop a little at night, but don't let him go without heat at all! Room temp for humans (68-75 or so) can cause your snake to get a respiratory infection over a long period of time. I would suggest a human heat pad. Make sure to closely monitor the temps when using both a lamp and heat pad. You don't want to overdo it!
    If you have him in an aquarium, you will probably want to put the water directly under/over a heat source, to help keep the humidity up.
    I my self would never place the water over the heat source, heat combined with water makes a perfect place for bacteria. Just spray the cage as needed to raise the humidity levels or buy a repti flo. I my self have never used repti flo but everyone seems to have good things to say about the product.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    danny has a good point. but i think bacteria will grow in the water either way. the cage is warm and the water is stagnant. i try to give my snakes fresh water every so often. but i dont go as far as buying them their own bottled water...lol

Thanks
    Changing the water everyday is a must not a plus, that's basic husbandry. Tap water already has enough stuff that's not healthy for both humans or our pets. The least we can do is change it every day.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    well if you change the water everyday, whats the harm in puttin the water bowl over the heat pad? its highly unlikely youll get a bacteria that grows to deadly levels in a day.

Thanks
    Wether or not a bowl under the heat lamp is safe or not, I have no clue. I keep mine on the cool end though.

But as far as bacteria, if your putting fresh water in it everyday, make sure you clean your bowl as well. Theres a possibility bacteria can grow if you don't, clean water or not. Especially on rock bowls.

Thanks
    Thanks again. You guys are great!
    Diana