Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,690

1 members and 2,689 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Ok, I haven't fed Vigo yet since he's only been with me for about 4 days. He'd recently eaten when we adopted him. My question is, when I get ready to feed him, should I put him in a different enclosure than his tank? And if so, what sort of enclosure...another tank? And, should I present him with the mouse in the evening? And how long should I keep him in this other enclosure...or do I transfer him back and forth until he feeds?
    Thanks again folks!!
    Diana

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Feeding question

Diana...
    Find a big box, rubbermaid, anything that isn't his home enclosure and provides enough room. Since bp's are nocturnal, night is the best time to feed. Keep him in the enclosure until he starts to "hunt" for another one. If you're slow and gentle about it, and don't smell like food he will let you pick him up and put him back in his enclosure. Some people use snake sticks, i've never seen a need. Hope i helped .
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I agree with Will. I put mine in a 10 gallon tank (that I used when I first got him, he is in a 20 gln now). It really doesn't matter what kind of enclosure you use for feeding, just make sure it has plenty of room. I also provide a hide box in mine. So, if he is not hungry he has somewhere to go, it can provide some protection against a mouse/rat injurying your snake. I have seen times when a mouse would stick their noses in the hide box and the snake snapped at them, and the mice thought twice about getting near that dark hole. Wait till he has completely gotten his food done before disturbing him. Make sure that you wash your hands before trying to pick him up to put him back in his enclosure (to prevent the mouse from being on your hands, and a strike from your bp).
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    btw, i strongly suggest feeding pre killed or frozen and thawed. also, wolfman... i would advise not to feed in a glass tank... if for some reason the snake misses the rodent and hits the glass too hard, game over.
    -Will

Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    LOL, not funny, but the image of a snake braining itself like a bird hitting a picture window cracked me up!
    Good point, Will. I like pre killed myself if it's not a problem to get to the pet store(or if the bp owner breeds food). I like to keep a frozen or two in the freezer just in case. With pre-killed there is no guess work at all regarding correct body temp. When people thaw, the snake may not take it because it's unnaturally hot or too cold. Just like Goldilocks. Not THAT big of a deal, it just takes time to learn and perfect.

Thanks
    Thank you for your help! Also...any reputable online places to buy supplies (heat pads, etc) or should I just check out the local Wal-Mart!!
    Geez...they are everywhere!!
    Thanks again, Diana

Thanks
    Wal-Mart is everywhere and is a reliable, inexpensive place to find supplies like rubbermaids, thermometers, and human heat pads. However, I personally have some ethical reservations about supporting a company that has ~75% of its full-time employees eligible for food stamps, so I buy elsewhere when I can find it and the price isn't ridiculous. As far as buying supplies online, bigappleherp.com will be able to provide just about anything you might want.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanks again...I too am not a Wal-Mart fan..hence the question.
    Thanks, Diana

Thanks
    There are a number of good suppliers online, including the one I linked. You might try a local hardware or feed and seed store for thermometers, substrate, and such, or a locally-owned petstore or Petco or rodentpro.com for food, and OfficeDepot or local office supply stores for suitable enclosures. Wal-Mart succeeds through being convenient (and often driving small competitors out of busines ...), but there is usually a way to get around them.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    wal-mart rules.
    -Will