Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

1 members and 2,998 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Sugars vs Calico, Granites and feeding hatchlings/stubborn snakes

Hello. I was wondering if someone could tell me some general characteristics of determining if a morph is a sugar, or a calico? I have this snake that I am interested in purchasing and its listed as a Sugar. Of course, Sugars have a higher price tag, and I like the look of the snake, but it definately doenst look anything like the Sugars on constictors.com. I know that each bloodlines are going to look different, but I want to make sure that if i drop a large amount of money, that Im getting the snake that I want. Someone once told me that Sugars have a "reduced" pattern that lacks the alien heads, and an unbroken black "stripe" down their back, and of course higher white. Any thoughts on this?

My second question is if the picures attached could be granites, or if they are just normals that look like granite. Mom was a normal, Dad was a pastel, but these guys look very speckled....

My THIRD question: Does anyone have any suggestions on getting hatchlings to eat? I have a clutch that has not eaten yet. They have already shed, but are not interested one bit in eating. I have tried ASF's and mice. The ASF's were live, the mice, F/T. I have not tried rats yet, but would that even make that much of a difference?
    I also have a spider ball that is probably about 8 months old. We got her from a reputable breeder on 4.15.12, and she hasnt eaten for me at ALL in my care. I have tried mice, rats and ASF's. The breeder said that they always fed her in a blacked out tub, which I have set up for her as well, but nothing. Any ideas to get her to eat?

My LAST question is about the spider ball as well. We bought her as a POSSIBLE calico. Any idea on how to prove is she is without having to breed her. I know that "proving" out a gene works well with recessive genes, but a dominant? I have attached pictures of her... well crap.. now that I look, it says I cant post pictures? Ummm.. Here are some links then..:
    Granites: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4873880&type=1

Spider :http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

Thanks
    there is so much packed into this post...

1) Calico = Sugar. It's just a different name/line of the same morph. Like flame/fire/lemonback/etc. The amount of white is similar to a pied.. a low white animal can throw high white animales, and a high white animal may produce a bunch of low white babies.

2) Keep in mind that there is a LOT of variation between individuals. Don't buy a normal that looks similar to a granite unless you know for certain it is a granite. I've seen quite a few normals that look like they could be 'granite' but aren't going to pass on the same look. Likewise, don't sell any babies hatched from non-granite parents, as 'possible' granites or 'granites' unless you know that's exactly what you have. Don't need to contribute to the confusion that results (See: Question/Answer #4)

3) Might have to search the forums for that one. This is a topic worthy of it's own thread, as there are lots of ways to try and get a snake eating. One suggestion is to talk to the person you got it from, and duplicate their enclosure and methods. But since it sounds like you may have hatched them yourself, I'd run some forum searches. Lots of different methods available

4) Post pictures of your spider. If you bought her as a spider, and she wasn't unreasonably expensive, she's most likely just a spider, a morph that also has a huge variety of snakes between the extreme low-white sides and high-white sides.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 07-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Andybill (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    looks like definite granites, considering all in the clutch look the same ... aka its genetic. spider pic doesn't work. something that worked for me was live hopper mice for my non-eating babies. another thing that seemed to help was hot chicken broth dotted on the forehead of prekilled rat pinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Re: Sugars vs Calico, Granites and feeding hatchlings/stubborn snakes

Hi Wendy !

Quote Originally Posted by wendy8882 View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if someone could tell me some general characteristics of determining if a morph is a sugar, or a calico? I have this snake that I am interested in purchasing and its listed as a Sugar. Of course, Sugars have a higher price tag, and I like the look of the snake, but it definately doenst look anything like the Sugars on constictors.com. I know that each bloodlines are going to look different, but I want to make sure that if i drop a large amount of money, that Im getting the snake that I want. Someone once told me that Sugars have a "reduced" pattern that lacks the alien heads, and an unbroken black "stripe" down their back, and of course higher white. Any thoughts on this?

It is my understanding that sugars do have reduced patterns as well as a nice black back. Of course all of the sugars and calicos vary greatly, normally we can catch some of the subtle differences

My second question is if the picures attached could be granites, or if they are just normals that look like granite. Mom was a normal, Dad was a pastel, but these guys look very speckled....

Lots of normal ball pythons have that granite speckling. If you want to see if they're granites, I think you're going to have to prove the out. Unless of course they were produced by a granite-like snake you were already trying to prove out .

My THIRD question: Does anyone have any suggestions on getting hatchlings to eat? I have a clutch that has not eaten yet. They have already shed, but are not interested one bit in eating. I have tried ASF's and mice. The ASF's were live, the mice, F/T. I have not tried rats yet, but would that even make that much of a difference?

I have not experience trying to get a fresh hatchling to eat. From what I read and watched on youtube, getting baby BPs to eat is a pain =s...

I also have a spider ball that is probably about 8 months old. We got her from a reputable breeder on 4.15.12, and she hasnt eaten for me at ALL in my care. I have tried mice, rats and ASF's. The breeder said that they always fed her in a blacked out tub, which I have set up for her as well, but nothing. Any ideas to get her to eat?

I have a big girl who also hasn't eaten in my care. I'm going to keep trying what she's eaten. She's a big gal, so I'm sure she'll eat when she's ready.

My LAST question is about the spider ball as well. We bought her as a POSSIBLE calico. Any idea on how to prove is she is without having to breed her. I know that "proving" out a gene works well with recessive genes, but a dominant? I have attached pictures of her... well crap.. now that I look, it says I cant post pictures? Ummm.. Here are some links then..:

From the pictures, she looks like a really nice spider. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to breed her.

Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Oh right, forgot to mention.. can't view the facebook photos, possibly not made public?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Sugars vs Calico, Granites and feeding hatchlings/stubborn snakes

Quote Originally Posted by wendy8882 View Post

1) Same genetic alleles, different lines.

2)They don't really look totally granite to me. But you would really have to prove out to trait to see if they are.

3) What is your set up like? Temps/humidity/ etc etc?

4) I couldn't see the photo.