Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

1 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hello there fellow reptile lovers! My daughters bought a Ball Python for me that I named Vigo. He's my birthday present. Always wanted one!!! I'm so happy...and he's soooo cool.
    Anyone care to volunteer any words of wisdom for me?? I want to be sure he is properly taken care of. Someone suggested a heat rock, but I just read here that they are dangerous for my little guy! He's 6 months old and about 20 inches. We've used the heat rocks for our Iguanas, but obvioulsy, Vigo's a whole different animal..lol. Anyone old enough out there to get that?? I've currently got a good size water dish he can curl up in and the tank is heated with a dome light that sits on the screen. He's in a 10 gallon tank and that seems right for his size.
    Anyway, I'm glad I found this site...and look forward to your help!!!
    Thank you,
    Diana

Thanks
    I can give you alot of info but just exactly do u wanna know?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VigosPal
    Someone suggested a heat rock....
    People still use those?!? LOL... Anyway, hi Diana, welcome to the site (and to the fascinating world of ball pythons).

I hope we can help, but what are some specific questions you have?

Jennifer

Thanks

Re: I'm a newbie to this site AND ball pythons!

Also, I can you give you info that goes by the book or some from my own experience combined with info from the book.

Thanks
    Hey there, congrats on the new bp!
    Yeah, definitely ditch the hot rock plan; they can develop hot spots and bp's have poor heat sense in the belly=burned bp.
    A heat pad under the glass on the warm end is the way to go. Get a dimmer switch for the pad so you can do fine adjusting. Wall mart has nice digital indoor/outdoor thermometers with a wire probe(usually 10') Above the pad on the inside of tank is where you'll want to put the probe. Stick it to the glass just under substrate and now you'll know what the bp's belly temp is. If too hot, adjust with dimmer. Aim for 90. 95 is almost too warm.
    The ambient air of the tank should also be known. Place a thermometer an inch or so off the floor in the hot and cool zones to spot check. You can see already why many of us like temp guns that we can point anywhere and get instant readings.
    Your hot zone should be about 90, cool should be around 80 to 85. These temps will fluctuate during night and day and that's groovy.
    For the hot zone, I recommend an infrared light. It's said bp's can't see that type of light. It can be left on 24/7 and won't be a "constant sun" inside the bp's world since the lack of night time will stress it out.
    For the cool zone, you can just leave it alone or if it's too cool, get another UTH (under tank heater) with dimmer and set it on low (78-82ish). Too cool and you risk resp. infections.............
    Probably most important, get a hygrometer and welcome to the Battle of Humidity! The humidity of the tank needs to be 50 to 60 all the time, and up to 70 or so for shed. 75 just makes me nervous.
    While you're picking up supplies, get some duct tape. You'll need it for the screen top. Look in my album to see what I had to do to my screen to hold heat and humidity.
    Tricks for upping humidity: water dish partly over UTH, misting with water bottle (not on floor), just read any post on humidity, it's a common concern!
    Well, there's more, but I'll let some other people throw in a nickel.
    Enjoy your new python! They are great pets. :wink:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh, and if I may suggest you go out and buy (or even buy online) the "Ball Python Manual" by Phillippe de Vosjoli. It's a great book, and tells you just about everything you need to do from a professional point of view- for under $15! lol... Just thought I'd mention that anyone with a ball python should own this book.

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh, and about the UTH. If water gets on directly on the glass above the UTH, it could cause a stress crack (this is with attached UTH's). Just another thing to worry about :? :lol: I would go for a human heating pad (with NO auto shut off) that you buy from a drug store or a place like Walmart.

Jennifer

Thanks
    Man, I have searched and searched and I STILL can't find a pad without auto shut off! I am starting to think some little old lady burned her house down, won a settlement, and now you have to go out of the country to obtain a "no safety device" item.
    Whatever happened to Social Darwinism?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL Chris... I found some just fine..from Osco drug store. They were $15 each. I don't remember the brand though....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I got mine from walmart for 20 bucks (canadian) with no shut off
    in fact I couldn't find one with a shut off
    i looked just for fun

welcome to the site and ask any questions you may have
    just remember there are no stupid Q's when it comes to the well being of your snake and we will awnser your Q's to the best of our knowlege
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast