Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

3 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building

Banned
    Thanks

Sweet

Wooohoooo, I'm making a new cage, possibly two. I found some massive amount of plywood I could use. I can either make one massive cage for a macklott's or scrub, or make two smaller cages for m bp's. Hmmm

So, has anyone out there made a cage? If so wanna share some pics? Any tips you got? I've made em before, I just am really bad at it. This time I wanna heat a lot by heat pads. I think If I cut small strips of wood, and hammer it to the floor board, then overlay a real thin piece of wood over that. It'd create a gap for heat pads! I wanna go for simplicity on a lot of it. I think I wanna fixed window too.

By the way, anyone know of some real good water proof paint or sealer?

Thanks
    I would never use any type of wood for the simple fact that alot problems come up within time. May I suggest something else?

Thanks
    Before you paint, get a gallon of "Kilz". It's a primer. It will seal the wood surface for you so you don't have to paint again and again and again. Put a coat or two down....just watch out, it puts off wicked vapors. When it's dry you can paint it. They make bathroom paint that is good for super humid areas.
    Make sure you post some pics of your creation and for god's sake, work some duct tape in there! :lol:

Thanks
    hey jon,
    If you look through my horrible pictures in my gallery, you'll see a bunch of enclosures (I know sorry bout the horrbile pics)
    anyhow If you like any of them let me know, Winslow builds them all and probably has some good tips
    Thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i'm in the stages of building one right now as well

Its gunna look great I hope
    i got a whole bunch of rough oak from work and i'm just in the process of dressing it now
    It will be finished hopefully tomarrow as i'm going to my old high school and using its shop wich is amazing
    I will post some pics as soon as it is done
    I'm so excited I can't wait untill it is done
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    If anyone knows, is there any place to get plans to buy one...I just don't want to be creative with building one...I don't have to right now but when hydra gets bigger she is gonna need something bigger than a 10 gallon and i want to make something nice for her. with two hides, two waters...the whole works.....kinda the same as Johns question so any ideas would be great.../
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    heres the cage i built. its not a very good for arboreal. and its too big for a ball python. its 72" x 20" (6' x 1.6')

its actaully upside down to glue the top track on. ive got 1/4 sliding glass that i had to special order for doors. the two small pieces of wood that the tracks are on are 3.5" wide. i used a polyurethane glue to glue the tracks on. it took several hours to dry, but its insanely strong. there is tagboard (is that what its called) for the back. and a support in the middle. if theres no support in the middle the top bends alot, to the point where the glass wont slide easliy. if you must use duct tape, you can cover the bottom with it so when the snake poops all the liquid doesnt soak into the wood. i used some kind of sealan on the bottom but i dont think i used enough. its particle board on the bottom and it just soaked it right up. the glue worked to glue handles on the glass too.

Thanks

Crockhunter

Quote Originally Posted by BallKingdom
    By the way, anyone know of some real good water proof paint or sealer?
    Contact paper from WalMart. It comes in tons of patterns and colors! Skip the paint and sealer altogether. That's what I used, and it has worked great!
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i say you should use duct tape are you talking about for the whole cage? if so....you should still use duct tape j/k. the stuff i used sucked so i couldnt help ya there.

Banned
    Thanks
    They make a special paint for boats that is basically 100% waterproof. I just pm'd someone who used a water proof paint on another site, we'll see what she used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast