Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,541

1 members and 1,540 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f/t conversion.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just fed Peanut his 2nd pre-killed rat, he jumped on this one like there was no tomorrow. Do you guys think it's still too early to offer a frozen rat or should I give it a shot next week? I want to go about converting Peanut the absolute best way there is, with no excess stress on him... Also, one more tiny question. Peanut got a piece of rat poop stuck in his mouth, it's still there. Should I attempt to remove it or will he eventually spit it out/swallow it? Thanks in advance for your input...

Here is a photo I snapped of Peanut gobbling down the rat.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I can't answer your poop question, cause I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. But with you going to f/t. I would do it next week if he is taking pre-killed. I am now in the process of converting Zeus over to f/t. I didn't even try the pre-killed mice/rats. I feed him last week a f/t and he took after some coaxing in my part. i would say that if you can get you f/t to room temp or above, and Peanut is already pre-killed with no problem, then he should not have any problems with takeing a f/t. Hell he might not even notice the difference.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    well when i say pre-killed, i mean i smack the rat and feed it off immediately. he probably thinks it is still alive, because he definetely tries to kill it! I'm gonna take your advice and give it a shot though, what could it hurt. I have plenty of feeders now, thanks to DavidBeard and Andariel for helping me stay awake until the pet shop opened. We're like the nocturnal trio.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thats awesome man! A trick that I have used alot with picky feeders is I will offer them a p/k mouse/rat that is a bit smaller than their normal sized meal (a hopper mouse, etc) and then once the snake has swallowed the first meal, I will offer a f/t meal while they are still in hunt mode.....I just recently used this trick to convert one of my BPs over to rats. Give this a try next time you feed.

And yeah, me, you and Chris are like the nocturnal trio.....but I doubt I'll be up as late tonight since I didn't go to sleep at all, lol.

Thanks
    Will, I find that it helps if ya use a set on tongs and grab the ft rat on the back hips and wiggle it around in front of him. That way they think that it is still alive and they should strike at it, ot at least that is the best way that I have found to get Zeus to take his f/t. Good luck on the conversion man.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

Thanks
    ok, i have called every pet store in augusta and no one has F/T mice. ALl live feeders, no F/t rats either. So if anything i can do is switch over to prekilled....and stay that way.. or should i buy live, kill, and freeze myself? or what?
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

I get all of my f/t rodents from RodentPro.com......they have the best prices and the best quality.

Thanks
    ahhhh...online ordering..the future is here luke...
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

LOL.

Banned
    Thanks
    I feed both pre killed and frozen. Mainly if a freshly killed is not eaten, it is frozen for later use. Frozen is above all the prefered method, because it kills all parasites the rodent might have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast