Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,467

1 members and 1,466 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    OK, here is my project guitar.. the first pic is of the guitar as it would be if it was just built and left as is. The second is what I am thinking about doing to it. I have spent many hours on the net searching for ideas, and I decided I want something that is different... so, that is how the "PRS Replica Python Guitar" came about. Let me know what you think, maybe you all got other ideas... as of yet, I am still undecided what to do with the head stock.

*Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Opinions Please....

Being an artist and an avid guitar player I have to ask what do you plan on using to apply this design to your guitar? Another idea would be to make a jungle like design or whatever scenario you want on the guitar and come up with some kind of mold that wraps around the guitar (without interfeering with parts needed to play) that would be a replica of a python. There are many ways you could do this and I think that would be an excellent idea. Regardless of what you do it will be a very beautiful guitar.
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    and as the head stock goes...... the head of the python could be placed up there.... or well...let me think about it for a while

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thought:

How do you think it would look to paint the box of the guitar with more of a jungle or natural backdrop, while painting the neck to look like the body of a Ball Python? The "body" of the snake could be extended on down beneath the strings to the bridge and beyond, maybe with the tail curling down along the bottom edge of the box. The width of the tuning head would easily accomodate the "arrowhead" shape of the Ball Python head.

Granted, the drawback would be that playing the guitar could easily wear the paint away from the fretboard. Heck, my Alvarez 12 string has dimples in the fretboard from all the years of playing it.

*heh... it appears Freakoverdose and I posted similar ideas at almost the same time...*
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

Thanks
    Here something like this maybe. But the snake would obviously look like a python, I just didn't have any python swatches. And obviously the body of guitar would be painted a certain way.

Thanks
    OK, I am not quite sure yet about the "how to" get the pattern on the body... But, as far as "paint", I was thinking of going with an acrylic. I have an airbrush gun at my disposal, so concievably I could air brush the pattern on. I plan on using something to seal this after the pattern is on, I want a real shiny deep looking finish. As far as the neck of the guitar, I had considered doing what you suggested Hoomi, but , my thoughs ran along with yours about it wearing off later with playing the guitar. So, I decided to go with the body looking the way you saw I did it. Also, freakoverdose1, I had thought about putting a head of a python on the head stock.. just was not sure about it...

I am getting thoughts and ideas together now so I can decide if I want to really go this route.. I agree, it would be beautiful. I figured on painting it and sealing it while all the hard ware is off, so nothing gets on it all, it is all chrome. Well, let me know if any of you come up with any other ideas. Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated, and if any of you have actually undertaken a project like this and have experience, please let me know what type of paints and sealers you have used, and any other thoughts about how to get the pattern on the body.

Thanks!
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Since you're working with an electric guitar as opposed to an acoustic, the options for sealing the design are a bit more open. There are a number of resilient clear-coats available which will allow the design beneath to shine through, while protecting it from scratches and dings. On an acoustic guitar, these could conceivably change the wood's resonance characteristics, hence changing how the guitar sounds, but with an electric, that isn't an issue so much.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.