Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

3 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

Thanks
    I am currently looking into obtaining a Boa in the very near future. i would love to have a "true" Red Tail, but am not sure if I want a snake that is suppose to get to 10' or more. I am not sure, but isn't there a subspecies that does not get that long? I would love to have one that would get to 6 or 7' in total length but not much longer than that. Any suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hi wolfman, I'm pretty sure that Sonoran Desert Boa doesn't exceed 6 feet, or even 5'5". If you PM me we can talk further, and I can give you contact info for a few people who I know have these. Unfortunately though, these are not BCC's, they are BCI's... Here's a picture I found off of the "cutting edge herp" website:

I'll think of more, but as far as I know, BCC's get BIG, and there's no way around it; but I could be wrong. :?

Good luck!
    Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

pic

look into hog island boas. there are some ugly lookin ones out there but there are also some stunning ones. you should be able to find a good one.

The Sonorans stay 4-5 feet as adults...they are a dwarf subspecies. All of the Central American BCIs stay around that size as well.....Hogg Islands, Nicaraguans, etc......and yes, BCCs ALL get big and they are NOT a good first boa. They are much more temperamental than BCIs and much less hardy. The only drawback of the dwarf BCIs is that they tend to be very temperamental also. I have a pair of Sonorans and the female is very hissy and aggressive. I'm sure you could calm them down over time, as long as your willing to take a few nips, lol.

Thanks
    BCC is short for what.....?

BCI is short for what.....?
    -Chris

0.1 - Columbian Redtailed Boa - Sprocket <-- now vinnimac's
    0.0.2 - Leopard Geckos - Aflack and Geico <-- LOL

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    BCC= Boa constrictor constrictor (its latin name) aka the "true" red tail boa (ie, surinames, guyunan, etc)
    BCI= Boa constrictor imperator (i.e columbian redtail, sonoran desert boa, etc)

Jennifer

Thanks
    ahh ty
    -Chris

0.1 - Columbian Redtailed Boa - Sprocket <-- now vinnimac's
    0.0.2 - Leopard Geckos - Aflack and Geico <-- LOL

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No Problem

Thanks
    yeah after reviewing the Black blood pics on the other board, man she is beautiful. I would love to have one of those, but i wouldn't even know where to start. Another snake that interests me is the Green Tree python, I heard they can get feisty with their full set of teeth but man are they beautiful. Maybe I will get one in the summer.

Heres a bad looking pic of a green tree python from king snakes green tree python page:

0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

I would be careful.....neither Bloods nor Chondros are a species to jump into. How much experience do you have with snakes? If it only with ball pythons, then perhaps a Boa of some sort would be better for you. Bloods get large and their husbandry can be very tricky. GTPs are expensive and fragile. I would learn as much as possible before you buy any snake, but these 2 species especially.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast