Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,493

1 members and 1,492 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Hybrid View

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Shipping High Temp Question

When checking weather for shipping, how much mind do you pay to the high temps? The place I am shipping FROM next week will have a high of 93 and a low of 71 on Tuesday (the day the snake leaves). The place I am shipping TO will have a high of 94 and a low of 72 on Wednesday (the day the snake arrives). Of course this is overnight shipping so the animal won't really be exposed to the high temp because it'll leave here at 8pm (or so) in the evening and arrive there first thing in the morning.

Should I hold off shipping until the highs are going to be under the 90 mark?

Also, do you guys use a heat pack when the lows are going to be around 65 but the highs are going to be around 90? Seems like if you did, maybe you could activate one 30 hours or so before you shipped so it's sort of at the end of its life when it goes in with the snake? That way it doesn't overheat.

If you can't tell...I'm soo nervous about shipping! I know it's done all the time, but I am just so worried I'm going to mess it up.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    When checking weather for shipping, how much mind do you pay to the high temps? The place I am shipping FROM next week will have a high of 93 and a low of 71 on Tuesday (the day the snake leaves). The place I am shipping TO will have a high of 94 and a low of 72 on Wednesday (the day the snake arrives). Of course this is overnight shipping so the animal won't really be exposed to the high temp because it'll leave here at 8pm (or so) in the evening and arrive there first thing in the morning.

Also, do you guys use a heat pack when the lows are going to be around 65 but the highs are going to be around 90? Seems like if you did, maybe you could activate one 30 hours or so before you shipped so it's sort of at the end of its life when it goes in with the snake? That way it doesn't overheat.

If you can't tell...I'm soo nervous about shipping! I know it's done all the time, but I am just so worried I'm going to mess it up.

Thanks!
    I do not have a lot of experience shipping in the heat. My recommendation would be to PM Robyn at ship your reptiles on here and I'm sure you will get your answer. SYR has always been an incredible help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    It over 90 here daily, but not until after 11am. I send/receive animals all the time in this heat and never have an issue, animal leaves about 8pm and arrives by 10:30am. Temps don't tend to hit over 90 during those hours of the day. Unless you're in AZ, where it's still 100 at 3am.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Shipping High Temp Question

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post

Thanks!

As long as your shipping to a FedEx Ship Center, than the high temp is not as important as the overnight and early morning temp.

If you are shipping to a residence and the package is delayed, then the high temp will be vital, even if you have a guaranteed 10:30am time. We just had a "guaranteed by 10:30am" package delayed to a 1pm delivery last week due to a mechanical problem on the plane. Fortunately, the package was shipped "held for pickup" so the animal was unaffected by the high temp. It probably wouldn't have been delivered to a residence until 4pm.

I won't ship to a residence, regardless of the guaranteed delivery time, if the high temp would require an ice pack. The temp in the back of the truck is also going to be higher than the outside temp.

Thanks

Re: Shipping High Temp Question

We generally pay mind to both temps. I would err on the side of the hottest temp possible - sometimes, the carrier is not as reliable as they could be, and the package arrives later than its supposed to. Rather than risk the animal, we usually pack for the most extreme temps, just in case. We only guarantee animals shipped in temperatures below 90, so you may want to wait to see if temps decrease anytime soon to make it a little safer to ship.

I'd use at least one ice pack, maybe two, depending on what size box you're using. Better safe than sorry!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.