Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

1 members and 2,981 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    I don't know if anyone remembers, but a few months ago there were some nasty wildfires throughout the San Diego area.

Anyway, I ran into a lady who lives in Julian. She found a wounded Kingsnake. She told me her and her husband were out checking out the burn area near their orchard, when it slithered out of a charred bush and crawled right up her husbands leg.

I took it with me and put it in a spare terrarium with your basic essentials (hide, water dish etc etc). The nice folks at LLL Reptile in Oceanside examined the poor snake. Basically it had burn damage on its face and various parts of its body. While I can't say it was the prettiest Cali Coastal kingsnake I've ever seen, it still was striking despite its wounds. The burns on the body seemed superficial mostly.

Anyway they opened its mouth and gave it a pretty thorough examination. The bad part, it seemed the very tip of its tongue was singed, but the rest of the mouth was a healthy pink.

Their recomendation was to let it brumate in the terrarium and hope for a good shed come spring.

Well my gf nicknamed the snake Kingsley, and throughout december it brumated like a champ with no visible signs of stress. Once I even caught it drinking out of the water dish I set in there. I had high hopes he was pulling through. I never handled it except for the first week I had it, and only then just to transfer it. It had a nice disposition, even if it was just stressed.

Well lately this last week it was hissing a lot. No one would be in the study and it would just hiss up a storm. I noticed it did begin to show more activity in the last few days as well. I was even contemplating feeding it a pinky next week.

Unfortunately he passed away sometime in last night.

I'm not quite sure what the final cause of death was. From observing him, whenever he moved it wouldn't be fluid like a normal snake. His neck would kind of jerk every once and awhile. Another thing is that his mouth was always partially open. LLL thought it wasn't do to his burns, but thought it had ingested a far larger prey then normal sometime past fall.

Anyone have an opinion onto his cause of death? The excessive hissing, jerking movements, and mouth are probably related. I wish I knew what caused it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wow, it came on so suddenly, that's really terrible. I wish I had an answer for you; maybe you can take it to get a necropsy? Even though they don't come cheap. It sounds alot like IBD, but it's a kingsnake. That's really weird. I'm sorry for your loss.

Jennifer