Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

1 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I had read somewhere that it was a good idea to put your bp, or any snake for that matter, in something else other than their cage for feeding time. That way they don't mistake you trying to get them out for dinner time. How many of you do this? Thanks,

Jeremy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I do and i'm pretty sure over 60% of the other people on this site do as well
    for the reason you just stated and for others I.E. swallowing substrate with there meal and getting an impaction

I feed my snakes in an empty 28 budweiser box and it works great for me
    another suggestion would be in a rubbermaid or on the floor (as long as you don't feed live)
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I do it. For more reasons that what you mentioned, but that is a main one. Mostly though, I don't want them to accidently ingest their substrate. Some of mine are on bark, and the others are on paper towels. I obviously don't have to worry about the paper towels, but then I take them out anyway so they don't give me that feeding response every time I put my hand in the enclosure. I've heard recently that some ball pythons actually know their feeding enclosure, and give that feeding response when they are put in it. Mine haven't shown that yet; but it just goes to show they aren't stupid, lol.

Jennifer

Thanks
    I have tried to feed my bp twice since I have gotten him. And it was in his cage. I guess I have been fortunate that he hasn't taken the food. Since then, I have read about moving them to feed. I will be sure to do this from now on. Thanks a lot for the help.

Jeremy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

corn snake pinky party

I feed my BP in his tank. I don't use a lose substrate for him. He eats great. I feed my Kenyan Sand Boa in a deli cup because he's on crushed walnut shells for a substrate.

I never really understood how a snake would associate you being in the cage with feeding time if you also take them out to hold and for cleaings- probably more often than to get in and feed them. I could see if you never handled them and only got in their cage to feed them and maybe to clean how they might associate you with food. I dunno. Maybe I'm just lucky with my BP.

I do think that if you use a loose substrate you should feed outside their cage.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I feed mine in the tank. But prior to feeding him one of the kids will hold him while I remove his hides, branch and water dish. I then lay newspaper down over the substrate. After about 15 minutes of him being held I then put him back in the tank and feed him. I allow about 15 - 20 minutes after he has ate, then he is held just long enough to remove the newspaper and put his belongings back in the tank. I know this sounds like a bunch of trouble to go through, but I have all the time in the world and it does not bother me, nor has it bothered him.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    I use a large cardboard box with astroturf on the bottom just like his tank. He won't eat unless the turf is down! But I won't feed him in his tank. It's just best, IMO, that he never associates food with his home. Sometimes a wandering finger can be mistaken for a meal-sized item if they are used to finding food in there once in a while.
    Just an extra precaution I take to avoid unpleasant possibilities. :wink:

Thanks
    Wow maybe I should do that. I have from the start feed him in his cage right in front of his hide and then he will usually take it into his hide to eat.
    I have repti-bark down so should move him out , tho, I have never noticed it sticking to the prey. Now that he has feed 4 times in his tank how hard to get him use to another way? and any suggestions as to what to use???
    He is use to being out of view to eat.
    thanks
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Well, you can put a hide in a feed box for him. I didn't have any trouble once I put the turf down. He seemed to prefer the familiarity of it to eat in a strange place. Of course all bp's have thier own wierd ways about them...........
    Since you're using bark, that won't do. A hide will probably work. Set him in the box, he'll most likely dart for the hide. Then bring in the rodent. He should sniff it out. I usually let a rat run around in the feed box for a couple minutes to get the scent everywhere. Then when I lower Xaero in, he can smell food and is right away trying to track it down. After smacking the rat I put it back in the box. It doesn't last long.
    Hope this helps. You shouldn't have too much trouble. The main reason they won't eat for you in a box is because it's a strange place where they don't feel safe. Make them feel more secure and they will focus on eating again. Then again, some feed in the tank and never have a problem. Give it a whirl, just don't get too stressed, we'd hate for you to stop eating, too! :lol:

Thanks
    Thanks ! unlike Ozzy I could use the stress if it got me to stop eating for a while
    I will try this, any type of box? guess I will line it wil newspaper and put a hide in it
    Thanks again
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast