Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

0 members and 2,781 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Debbies the wife, ya know the one who says yes you can have the snake,or you must be outa your @^%$ mind!!

Well I again assured her that this was a great idea to lemme start workin on my setup and eventualy gettin a BP. So I show her online what Ill be using as an enclosure and she stops an says "how big is this thing gonna get again?" So I say that males will get roughly 3.5 feet (Im gonna probably have to get a male) so she says "show me how big 3.5 feet is?" so stretch my arms out roughly and watched her eyes expand to small saucer size!

I spent the next few minutes reasuring her that Im not planning on bringing a serial murderer home,but a shy and gentle creature, of course comin from me I may as well have said to set an xtra plate at dinner for charles manson.

So what I need from you guys is to tell Debbie why lettin me have my BP, isnt such a bad idea.
    Ill be sure to print all the responses I get and make her read em.

And dont get any funny ideas and screw this up fer me. :lol:

Thanks I know youll all do the right thing.

Beaglegod

Thanks
    Debbie, I have a household full of girls (4 of various ages), and we all like ball pythons. They are usually slow moving and don't wiggle all over the place like worms and some other snakes. They also don't defend themselves by biting -- they are called ball pythons because they curl up into a ball when they are nervous. A lot of them are also very pretty, if you can get over the fact that they are snakes.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Well, my wife was a little off about it at first, too. But they have got to be without a doubt one of the nicest to hold snakes. If not THE nicest. Bites are quite rare, and 3 or four feet is not that big considering you don't look at it stretched out all the time. They're not heavy or quick, wriggly bothersome animals to handle.
    My wife was immediately taken with Xaero when she got to see him and touch him when I brought him home. He was about three and a half months old, nice and small and amiable.
    Here's a pic of her holding him on day one (they're her hands, I swear)

I'm sure that no matter what her opinion now may be, it is almost impossible not to warm up to something so quiet and clean and graceful.
    Have you tried bribery?

Thanks
    Every person who has ever had a fear of snakes and has met my BP, has gotten over their fear within 10 minutes. Inredibly docile and friendly snakes, sometimes I think she's a dog!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well...hmm...this could be fun, but I'll be nice.

LOL, I'm j/k.. Seriously though, ball pythons are the most docile snakes you will ever come across. If you notice the name they were given "ball" python. They are named that after the defense maneuver of curling up into a tight ball when they feel threatened, rather than lashing out and biting the threat. That right there should say enough about how much they bite. And, don't get me wrong, some do bite. But if you are able to see it and hold it, before you buy it, and see that it doesn't have a POS personality , you will be just fine. I'm guessing that's the biggest thing Debbie is concerned about, or..? Oh, and males do tend to stay shorter length-wise than females, but I do have a male that is hitting 4 1/2 feet. No biggy, though. Most stay around or shorter than 4 feet long.

Ball pythons in general are shy snakes, that like their privacy, (of course, there are exceptions to this). They are curious, fun to hold, and not quick moving like a corn snake or garter snake (although they can move fast in the bath tub, lol).

Hope this helped alittle, and I really tried not to cause any trouble, lol.

Jennifer

Thanks
    I actually work with a woman who jumped up on a table and screamed her head off when a stray kitten wandered into the warehouse. She was fine with my little ball python when I took the snake to work, though, because she knew it wouldn't jump and attack her.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL, they certainly aren't "super snake"... :roll:

Thanks
    LOL, I saw a lady on Maury one time who would completely lose it when a cat came in the room.......I thought it was bogus! Some phobias crack me up LMAO

Thanks
    In her defense, her brothers threw cats on her when she was little, but still, it was like a 6 or 7 week old little kitten and she was on a table screaming. Snake, just a quick startle reaction and then a couple of questions and a stroke down its back. No sweat.

Thanks
    LOL, I saw a lady on Maury one time who would completely lose it when a cat came in the room.......I thought it was bogus! Some phobias crack me up LMAO
    Was that the same episode with the lady that was afraid of olives because they reminded her of dead people?? Good episode, lol

Sorry! I don't wanna get off topic here... BPs really are great for all of the reasons listed above, in addition to only having to feed them once a week and the cleanliness factor, cats and dogs can be awfully messy, lol
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast