Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

2 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Need help choosing a camera bag

I just got my very first DSLR camera yesterday and I need to buy a bag for it. I got the Canon EOS Rebel T3i (http://www.frys.com/product/6547673). I've been looking through ebay and amazon and I can't decide on which one to get that will fit this camera, have enough cushion, and some space for a few accessories and yet not too bulky. Some of the reviews I read appeared to be mixed.

I was thinking of a getting a sling but the one I liked was apparently made for a man, not a woman. Please help me pick one out that will fit my needs and is a comfortable fit.

As of right now I don't have any extra lenses so I won't be needing a humongous bag just yet.

Thank you.

1.1 Normal BP (8-Ball, Dazzle)
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Hypo 50% PH Albino BP (Jag)
    0.1 Pastel 100% Het Hypo BP (Serenity)
    0.0.1 RES (Spinner)
    0.4 Dogs (Le, Karma, Tootsie, Jayda)
    2.0 Cats (Skeatz, Handsome)
    1.0 Dutch Rabbit (Spades)
    0.1 Abyssinian Guinea Pig (Moo Moo) RIP
    2.0 Bettas

Thanks
    A lot depends on what you want to use it for. I have a waterproof backpack specifically for wet situations, a "sling" bag for lenses I carry while my camera is on a capture camera clip system, and I've also found that normal backpacks can be great for camera gear if you pack right and use some carabiners.

If it's just for around town use and light walking... I like my Capture camera clip system a lot: http://www.walmart.com/ip/19416303?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

Then you can just put a lens or accessories in a cargo pocket or a small shoulder bag. Just be sure to have a sturdy belt to hold the camera weight.
    ~Chris
    Biology Departments - Marist College & Mount Saint Mary College
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

dizzydynamo (06-11-2012),Sam Rickim (06-13-2012)

Thanks
    This is my main bag http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ulder-bag.aspx

It holds enough, its very well made. I can put my D7000 with battery grip, Sigma 70-200 lens, my 100mm macro, my 35mm 1.8 lens, my 50mm 1.4 lens. My 8mm fisheye. Three extra batteries for the camera. Lens caps, and a bunch of smaller stuff inside. Then outside pocket I put my flash, and extra batteries. My mini softbox for the flash. I think my blackrapid strap goes in there too.

I dont always carry all that around. Most of the time its just the 70-200mm 2.8 the 17-50mm 2.8 then the 50mm 1.4 the 35mm 1.8. Then extra lens caps, batteries, Flash, and my strap.

I do also have a few lowepro bags. I did have one of the sling bags. It was ok, but ran out of room quick. I have their bigger AW 250 messenger style bag. I pretty much use that to store stuff in. Or if I have to take all my gear with me. Then Ill load the lowepro bag up.

Think tank has a ton of great bags. They are not cheap, but once you get one you will know why. Id say at least start off with something the size of the retro 20. They now have three colors to choose from. The link I posted, is the color I have. The retro 10 is pretty small, The retro 5 and the new 7 are more for the small point and shoot type of cameras. Or the leica type of camera. Small point and shoot ish.. Not the bigger DSLR's Well hope that helps.. Id either go with lowepro or thinktank. Dont waste your money on any of the others. The thinktank bags are built to last.

Also the retro 20 is a small bag. but will give you plenty of room to grow into. That way you wont have to go buy a new bag, once you get a new lens.
    Last edited by ama1997; 06-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ama1997 For This Useful Post:

dizzydynamo (06-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have owned a lot of bags over the years. Some good some not good at all. Think tank makes great card wallets (I own a few) I would guess that same though and construction hold to their bags as well. Domke makes one seriously good 'shooters' bag easy to get gear in and out one handed and just the right shapes. They hold up very well to abuse and wear. the downside, they are easy to get in to... they do not offer much theft security. Great bags to shoot out of not great to carry long distances. (I own 4 of them, one is 18 years old and heavily used every few days)

Crumpler makes the toughest bags I have ever owned. They are seriously tough. There are a huge array of styles and types. The 'bucket' idea is great buy a bag (any bag) and drop the padded camera 'bucket' into it. Most of the bags they make also do not scream camera bag. I own the biggest back pack bag to a tiny slip cover bag and a few in between. The backpack has been on 4 contents and I have no idea how many countries for many years. It still looks like I bought it yesterday.

I also own a billingham it is maybe a bit better looking than the Domke and perhaps slightly more functional but the price tag is so much more that I would recommend a domke over it 100% unless you have loads of cash and the look of the bag matters a lot.

A ok site for looking at bags it has user submitted photos of the bag and gear packed in it. It gives a fairly good idea of how much it carries.

http://www.cambags.com/bag-type/shoulder-bags-menu.html
    Last edited by kitedemon; 06-11-2012 at 12:30 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

dizzydynamo (06-11-2012)

Thanks

Re: Need help choosing a camera bag

Thank you all for your inputs and recommendations! I will look into each of the brands mentioned above. I think what I just need is a holster for now since I don't really travel much. It will mostly be for family/friends and just around town. The most outdoorsy thing I will probably be doing soon is just simple camping. I would like to do some hiking but all I have now is the camera and the lens it came with. I'm still new to DSLR so I need to master the basic functions first before investing in another lens. I tend to be a very clumsy person so I need something that will protect the camera and lens. Thanks again!

1.1 Normal BP (8-Ball, Dazzle)
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Hypo 50% PH Albino BP (Jag)
    0.1 Pastel 100% Het Hypo BP (Serenity)
    0.0.1 RES (Spinner)
    0.4 Dogs (Le, Karma, Tootsie, Jayda)
    2.0 Cats (Skeatz, Handsome)
    1.0 Dutch Rabbit (Spades)
    0.1 Abyssinian Guinea Pig (Moo Moo) RIP
    2.0 Bettas

Thanks
    When out with the camera I use the Lowepro Sling.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passpo...=lowepro+sling

I am a short female (only 5'2") and this has adjustable straps which is great. It can hold my camera, three lens, my clutch style purse, and all my accessories. The back has a zipper so it can expand further if need be. I have take it everywhere from DisneyWorld to the Zoo. I have never had any issues with it.
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

Thanks

Re: Need help choosing a camera bag

I use a Lowerpro shoulder bag for my Nikon D3100. It's nice and padded and the size of the two inner pockets are infinitely adjustable, meaning that I can adjust them to any size and ensure my spare lens is very secure. It's also got plenty of outer pockets as well. The inside is a very bright orange so I can immediately see anything out of place (like lens caps!) that I might be looking for, even in low-light situations.