Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,105

1 members and 2,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWS:

Thanks
    Local News Section Printable Version

TV Home » News » Local News » Stories

'Operation Slither' Yields Over 1000 Reptiles
    Jan. 10, 2004
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A sting operation in search of reptiles being kept or sold illegally led to a lot of confiscations and one trip to the hospital for a snake bite.

"Operation Slither" was conducted on Friday, part of a sting aimed at stopping the illegal possession and selling of reptiles. Search warrants were served on two Salt Lake County homes and one in Davis County. One home included more than 1,000 reptiles.

State and federal wildlife officials confiscated about 100 illegal animals and several computers for evidence. Among the species collected were Gila monsters and several varieties of snakes.

Law enforcement officials also visited another home, where a resident was bitten on the hand by a rattlesnake.

"We didn't have enough information for a search warrant, but we talked to someone at the house and were invited in. A person was handling a rattlesnake when we walked in and he was bitten," said Rudy Musclow, chief of law enforcement for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. "He went to the hospital, but we don't believe the snake injected any venom. That is part of why we don't allow people to have venomous snakes."

It is against the law to collect or possess venomous snakes in Utah without a permit. Nonvenomous reptiles were also seized because it is illegal to collect animals with limited distribution in the wild.

The two-year investigation came to a head when state and federal wildlife officials simultaneously served search warrants in Utah, Arizona and California on Friday morning. No Utahns were arrested Friday, but the suspects could face charges of unlawful possession and collection of reptiles and Lacey Act violations for interstate commerce of protected wildlife.

Conservation officers are accustomed to dealing with strange environments when serving warrants, but Friday's job was a little more interesting than the rest.

"Whenever you serve a search warrant, you feel uncomfortable because you are invading someone's private space, but this was a residential house with 1,000 snakes in it. It was really hot and uncomfortable, and there was quite an interesting smell," Musclow said.

Lt. Mike Fowlkes said the snakes will be held as evidence, but that they would be taken care of.

"We have professionals to feed them and keep them healthy for as long as it takes," he said.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Just thought I'd share
    thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Yikes! That's a big bust. I recently learned it's illegal to keep native species in GA, so my friends who have had corn snakes were violating the law.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's awesome! I'm glad to hear so many people got busted. That's like out her ein AZ, the laws for venomous and exotics, well, AND native species are VERY strict and by the book. It kind of sucks, but it sure keeps herpers in check!

(The biggest thing that sucks is we don't get to have Gila monsters here. We can't even TOUCH them!!)

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh, and there are little ways around that, Marla. Corn snakes are also found within a broad range of the US. Therefore, you would never be able to PROVE if it was CB or WC in GA. So, I believe (don't quote me) that your friends weren't necissarily braking the law UNLESS of course they shouted out to everyone that they caught them in their backyards! LOL!

Jennifer

Banned
    Thanks
    No, you can't own/keep species that can be found in Georgia without a permit. So a California King is okay, but a Black Kingsnake is illegal. Here's the law as explained on the DNR site. My friends were breaking the law but probably had no idea.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is that you, Marla? :lol:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    And thanks for clarifying, BTW.

Banned
    Thanks
    BUSTED. well atleast they are being taken care of and like stuff how would u fit 1000 snakes in a house. supposeing it is 3 bedroom and like 2bath ro something...? wouldn't that be harder or something. i mean like u would have to like have a heating system and keep the house heca warm....

Thanks
    Yup, sorry. The site keeps logging me out for some reason! Arrgghh! I was logged in on the front page, clicked through and then wasn't.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Banned
    Thanks
    Posted on the home page. Thanks Rusty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast