Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,031

1 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hello Everybody,
    Well, I will admit that I AM a beginning herper with only about a years experience in maintaining Ball Pythons but I thought I would try to contribute some of my meager experience to other beginning Ball Python keepers on this forum.I try to be as professional as possible in my Ball Python husbandry and I must say that I have actually had practically no problems at all in maintaining my snakes.If you adhere to some of the strict requirements required in maintaining BPs I think you will have a very rewarding experience with these reptiles.Here are some of my tips... :wink:

1 ) Captive bred and hatched is the best.These animals are already acclimated to captivity and will almost certainly feed steadily for you.It is worth the extra money to get a quality BP from a reputable breeder.

2) Maintain strict humidity and temp.I keep my BPs at about 65 % humidity and have a warm zone of 90 degrees and a cool zone of about 82 degrees.I allow the temp to drop at nite to about 85 degrees in the warm zone and 78 in the cool area.

3) Always give the snakes a hide box.They LOVE to get out of sight and it is best to leave them be when they are in there.I used to pull them out to play but now when they are in their hide I leave them be.

4) Dont panic about them not feeding!! I used to get all worked up when they would not feed but now I just let them tell me when they are hungry ( looking around,being more active...) and then I go for it.One of my BPs is on a fast and the other two are still chowing down.I dont sweat it..as long as they are still in good flesh and weight dont worry about it...they will eventually feed..

5)Dont handle them TOO much...I play with my snakes all the time but I respect that there are times that they want to be left alone and I honor that...TOO much handling all the time sort of stresses them as they are inherently timid and retiring snakes...once a day is more than adequate to enjoy them and tame them.

Well, I hope that I am not being too impertinent with my suggestions being as I am not an expert...but I am very serious about my pythons and my other animals and I learn quickly and study a lot...I hope these suggestions may be of use to other beginners out there...!!!! :wink:

Enjoy your Ball Pythons...!!!!!!! they are the COOLEST!!!!

EyeLashViper

Thanks

PICS of the BCI :)

I think these are very valuable suggestions. I would, however, add

6) Make sure your enclosure is escape-proof! If there is a way out, a ball python will most assuredly find and use it.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    You sound like a very responsible and caring owner.

Thump

Thanks
    k .

Thanks
    Good tips....................

That leads me to a question! Pertaining to handeling them to much.................

We probably do handle them to much but since it has been less than a month that we have had them everyone want to hold them.
    They always wake up and come out when they hear everyone get up in the morning, with 5 kids getting ready for school it gets loud! They are crawling around their branches trying to get out and seem very happy to get out, they do the same thing when we all get home and then again before bed...........

They seem very outgoing.........never shy or head shy for that matter and they eat just fine, no problems at all...........

I just want to make sure I'm not causing any problems for the future by handling them to much??????

Any suggestions????
    2.2.1 Ball Pythons
    0.0.7 Fish
    0.0.2 Bearded Dragons
    1.2 Ferrets
    1.3 Bobcats
    1.7 Ragdoll Cats
    2.3 Kids
    2.1 Adults
    0.0.10 Ragdolls Kittens!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    well here's my 2 cents Kori. It is up to your snake to decide whether or not it's being handled too much. If it goes off feed for a while, acts shy, or even figity when you're handling them, it's probably best to leave them be a day or two. BP's imo love to be handled though, so I wouldn't worry about doing it too much. Just make sure you don't get them out any more than 2 times a day...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i dont know that there are any long term effects of handlung too much. except for possible stress which could lead to a number of things. fasting, lowered immune system(which branches off to other illnesses like RI, mouth rot and other such things). those are jsut possiblilities. i think your snake would go off feed before any of that happened. and if any of that stuff happened you could fix it. so unless you see some ill effects...you (and/or your kids) can handle it like you have been.

Hershey's better

Awesome stuff, EyeLash! The only things that I would add are that its always good to have at least 2 hides in the cage, that way the snake can thermoregulate without being out in the open. Also, its VERY important to have a proper way to measure temps/humidity....digital thermometers are the way go, no doubt......and a good thermostat is always a good thing if using heat tape or heat pads.

Thanks
    I agree with Will and David. Each snake has its own character, some like getting handled while others don't enjoy it as much. You just have to learn to "read" their behavior. May I add that it's also good to let them roam in say your room or living room. Just keep an eye on them, use common sense.