Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

3 members and 3,075 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Couple of Shipping Questions

So I think I will be shipping my 1st reptile soon. I've had plenty delivered to me but never sent one of my babies out into the world before. I've been trying to sell my animals locally, but I'm getting quite a few requests from other parts of the country, so it looks like I need to bite the bullet and jump on the shipping bandwagon. I just have a few questions:

I'm reading through the SYR FAQ (like the double acronyms there??), and they recommend no heat pack when shipping in weather between 70-92 degrees. Also, they say to leave your heat pack out for 2 hours prior to packaging. Is this the practice that most of you follow?

Down in the label section, they say to use self-adhesive labels or a label pouch. I ordered my supplies from TSK, so I don't know if my boxes will come with a label pouch or not. Where do I get one of these? Can I just print the label on regular paper and then use clear packing tape to adhere it to the box? I've done this for non-animal shipments before. I'm always careful to cover the entire label with tape (it's clear).

What's your preference for deli cups vs. bags? What species would you absolutely not use a bag for?

When deciding where and WHEN to drop off my package, am I going by the times for "Latest Express Drop Off?"

Thanks in advance for the help guys! (To those of you who have shipped to me--I was super pleased with your packing and shipping procedures, but for the life of me cannot remember right now how the box was packaged. I was mostly interested in getting at the snake inside!! LOL)

Thanks
    Here is how I do it

Foam lined box with holes punched in it
    A couple of wadded up newspapers
    Snake in a bag. (I have only shipped balls)
    More newspaper (I make sure the snake is snug)
    Heat pack taped to the underside of the foam lid
    Seal box
    Shipping Label printed off my computer

Yes I "turn on" the heat pack 2 hours before I seal it in the box. As for drop off times I pay the extra $5 and they pick up at my house between 3pm-6pm. And I was planning on using deli cups with wadded up papertowels with my hatchling when they go out next month.
    You can pm me if you have more questions!!!
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wapadi For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (06-04-2012),youbeyouibei (06-11-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Couple of Shipping Questions

Is this the practice that most of you follow?
    I activate mine one to two hours prior to shipping

Where do I get one of these?
    Those can be ordered for free on the fedex website (you do need an account but the account is free as well) http://www.fedex.com/us/fcl/pckgenvl...ies/index.html, you do not have to have them you can tape your label on the box, however they help protect your label it is rains.

What's your preference for deli cups vs. bags? What species would you absolutely not use a bag for?
    For me it depends on the size of the snake and how many animal will ship. Under 200 grams I like to use deli cups, over that I prefer bags. On multiple animals I use bags.

When deciding where and WHEN to drop off my package, am I going by the times for "Latest Express Drop Off?"
    I always drop of my packages at the HUB which is 20 miles away from me, this way I can drop off my package at the time that is the closest to the last drop off (I usually drop mine off at 6 - 6.30 pm), this way it limits the time the animal as to spend in the box.

Dropping it at Fedex means the package will not be picked up from a pickup location and spend additional time on a truck before getting to the hub.

Also not all locations will accept your package.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (06-04-2012),Robyn@SYR (06-04-2012)

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    What about not using a heat pack between 70-92 degrees? And when, if ever, do you use cold packs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    What about not using a heat pack between 70-92 degrees? And when, if ever, do you use cold packs?

I do not use heat pack between 70 and 92 and have used cold pack when my temps were at 88 or slightly over and the area temps were at 92 or above by the time of delivery.

I mainly happened when shipping to AZ, NM and TX

I always check the temps in 4 locations Mine, destination and of course Indianapolis and Memphis where the 2 main Fedex hubs are located, this helps me make the proper decision regarding shipping.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (06-04-2012),youbeyouibei (06-11-2012)

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post

I don't use a heat pack unless the temp falls below those range. I'm much more concerned with overheating in the insulated container than it being too cool.

I never use cold packs. They aren't much use since they melt quickly and leave your animal in danger of overheating. I will put cold packs in the box for a couple hours before shipping though if it'll be hot at night to cool down the box.

I agree with Deborah for all of your other questions but would add:

I use packing tape to securely tape the packing label down and it works great.

I also drive to a hub for deliveries to minimize the time the animals spend shipping. I actually go straight to the World Shipping Center at our airport so I have a 7:30pm drop off time and they go straight on the plane. If you have them picked up instead, keep in mind that they will spend several hours in the back of Fed Ex truck during the hottest part of the day.

Also, I always request my buyers to have their animal held for pick-up at their closet hub instead of doing delivery whenever possible.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Exotic Ectotherms (06-04-2012),KatStoverReptiles (06-04-2012),Robyn@SYR (06-04-2012),youbeyouibei (06-11-2012)