Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,839

1 members and 2,838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I noticed that when given a place to "perch" (as in ATB's or GTP's, etc) my JCP will do this. I'm not asking if there is something wrong with my snake, lol.. Just wondering if they could be classified as "arboreal". I don't think they are, as I have not seen any info on it. Just a question since every time I go to feed her, she willingly takes it while perched on a branch, and will continue the feeding process hanging upside down. :p

I know that with other species (such as ball pythons or even kingsnakes), if given the opportunity, would climb or rest "perched". But Jungle carpets just have that "skinny and long" arboreal look to them...

Any thoughts?

Pinesnake

All of the Morelia are arboreal in at least some way......even the large scrub pythons will hang out in the trees. So, yes, JCPs are arboreal even though they will spend time on the ground as well.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's what I figured, I just know they aren't "classified" as it...Which I guess makes sense, since species like the ETB and GTP spend something like 80%(?) of their time in the trees. But why are ATB's classified as such, since they are known to spend a lot of time on the ground? Is it because since they like to be supported on 3 points of their body, and if they don't receive that from a certain tree, they will migrate to the ground? Just some thoughts that are stirring in this brain of mine :lol: Thanks for any opinions or replies.

The ATB are definitely arboreal, even though they will spend alot of time on the ground.....if you think about it, they will often spend time inside a hollowed log or tree trunk.....there are many places on a tree where they can have the 3 points of contact. You can almost always tell an arboreal snake just by lookin at it......ATBs definitely look the part.

Thanks
    Ive head JCP's classified as "semi-aboreal"
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    I've read that previously as well - or "pseudo-arboreal" while I was researching coastal carpets. Scrubs are pretty sweet looking but there seems to be such a wide variance in reported size potential (12'-20'+ !??!?!?!) and they dont seem to be the most warm and fuzzy of pythons by reputation . . . . although the seem to have very easily maintained humidity requirements hehe.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Please explain, if you will...

Hey all
    carpets are Semi-arborel snakes more so at birth as apposed to adults. However its not uncommon to see adults perched in the trees. As for Scrubs they are also not uncommonly found forging around in trees as well as on the ground as for size i'm not an expert but i've heard different sizes been told as well. I watched and ep of 'killer instinct' and I believe they caught one at about 15' but i could be wrong. Anyways hope i helped clear things up for you.
    Laters Andrew
    -Andrew
    RTB(bci)- Cleo
    BP- Tiger
    Tokay Gecko- Viscious
    In the works are a female BP for breeding. Carpets pythons notice the 's' as in more than one LOL. Amazon Tree Boa. Want also to get into hots but thats a side project that'll wait for a while.

Wanna chat add me soul_of_fire_in_death@hotmail.com
    or
    you could always just PM me.

Thanks
    Alright did my research on the Scrubs and heres what I found.

Average adult size: There are apparent different average sizes among the different island populations. Most scrub pythons adults average 10’- 13’. Australian scrub pythons (kinghorni) are the largest of the scrubs and adults probably average 11’-15’. Barneck scrubs from northern New Guinea average 11’-15’. Scrub pythons from the population in the Tanimabar islands are the smallest, averaging 6’-8’.
    I found it at this site which had more insight on Scrubs if anyone is interested.
    http://www.vpi.com/5VPIBreeders/Scru...crubPython.htm

Andrew

Thanks
    good to have you around soul of fire!
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks a ton for finding that info and sharing, Andrew!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast