Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

3 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a rack

Thanks

Making a rack

What kind of wood or "material" would you use to make a rack? I don't see ply wood as the best thing.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fw1e14

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I would try to get some sheets of PVC, that would be best.

if you can't get PVC, then Melamine is what you want
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Melamine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I am working on a design and I am thinking baltic birch ply and PVCx (expanded pvc sheet it is lighter and much more insulating) sealed ply would be fine. many choose melamine but it too should have sealed edges and it is a pain to work with.

Thanks
    Would home depot or lowes carry melamine ?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?znxm2p

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I got mine from Home Depot, the guy i talked to at Lowes insisted that melamine didnt come in 4'x8' sheets lol.

Kitedemon- what do you mean it should have sealed edges?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The chip board substrate contains large amounts of formaldehyde that out gasses. The substrate also swells when damp in humid conditions. To prevent both seal the cut edges. The good way is to glue on melamine strips you can often buy heat activated rolls of it. The fast and dirty way is latex caulk just smear a good coat over the open particle board it will keep most of the moisture out and slow or stop the outgassing. I don't know how large the risk is with the outgassing but at work we are required to wear respirators when cutting it and if used interior it is required to be fully sealed. I am just parroting a HS policy.

Thanks

Re: Making a rack

Copied from this thread: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...51#post1812151

"I recently built a 7-high rack for 41qt tubs and including pre-wired heat tape, 3 sheets of pre-cut melamine, 7 tubs and the foil tape to cover the flexwatt, it cost me around $250. I borrowed a power drill from my boss and assembled it by myself in about 2 hours. I bought my tubs, measured HxLxW at the widest point of the tub and added a little to each for some wiggle room, drew the dimensions for each piece (8 shelves, 2 sides, 1 back) and played around with how they would fit on a 4'x8' sheet of melamine. There was a fair bit of scrap left over, but in the end I decided on 3 sheets of melamine, two cut identically with 1 side and 3 shelves each and one for the back and the other 2 shelves. The one thing that was not immediately apparent but I realized before I had the sheets cut was that the back piece needs to be as wide as the shelves, plus the thickness of the two sides so that it will be wide enough to be screwed into the sides. There was room on the third sheet for 2 extra shelves and I had the guy cut those for me in case I make another one later. I also ordered 6 feet of 11" flexwatt from RBI, and they kindly wired it all in 7x 10" pieces in parallel with 9 inches of lead cord between. They were very helpful in figuring out exactly what I would need to order to heat my particular rack, so if you end up working with different dimensions, shoot them an email.

To assemble the rack, I lay the back piece on the floor up against the frame of the closet to use as a flat working surface, and stood one side up on the back against the wall. I put down the first shelf, put a CD under each corner of the first tub on top of the first shelf, and one in the middle on each side, then lay the second shelf on top of the tub. Then I propped the second side piece up on the back piece against the two shelves to make a right angle, and I propped it in place while I pre-drilled my holes with a heavy pillar thing I found around the house. I left the first shelf unscrewed, pre-drilling and screwing the second shelf first, then I set the CDs and tub on top of that second shelf to place and screw in the third shelf, and so on until I had all but the first shelf in place. After the second and third shelves are screwed in, it becomes pretty easy because everything is fixed at the angle and position you've created. I saved the first shelf for last because having the second and third shelf in position first made more sense to me for stability.

Once all the shelves were on I drilled a divet into the back of each shelf for the power cords to run from one shelf to the next all the way up, I taped down the flexwatt with the foil tape, and I taped the cords into their slots so they wouldn't move and get pinched once I screwed on the back, which I did by turning the rack onto its front and putting a screw at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

There are definitely more professional ways to do this, and the second rack I built out of melamine I enlisted the boyfriend's help holding things, but the rack I built by myself is perfectly sturdy, no wobbling or wiggling. I decided I wanted more space than the CDs allowed so I found some cardboard that was a little thicker than the CDs and used that for spacing after the first shelf, and for the boyfriend's rack he wanted them even tighter than my first shelf, so we just dropped the tubs onto the shelves without spacers. I could see this being a problem with a large tub because of the inevitable sagging, but with his tiny 12qts it's a nice snug fit.

If you're interested, I can post some of the links and videos I checked out before I built my rack, and I can get the exact dimensions I used for my sterilite 41qt tubs later today. That rack now houses all 5 of my ball pythons, ranging from 150g to 1400g, I just have extra hides in for the little guys, and it's nice to know I won't have an extra rack laying around empty when my babies all grow up. "

"Here are some of the DIY guides and videos I looked at before I sat down to build my rack:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...=920078#920078

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-Rack-Complete

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/diy-rack-build.html

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rack.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B52erUxXgJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JGr...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjeT...eature=related

The dimensions on all these racks might be different than you end up using, and you might not need to go through all of this, but it was helpful to me to read/watch a lot to help me figure out exactly how I wanted to approach my build. I decided to make the sides and back of my rack out of solid melamine instead of just having supports for the shelves in order to hold heat better, as my ball pythons are in the room with my boyfriend's corn snakes, which he will brumate around December so the ambient temperature is going to get relatively low. For reference, here's a picture of what my rack ended up looking like.

I originally planned to turn it upside-down so that the bottom shelf sat a few inches off of the ground, but the boyfriend wanted to use that extra trim around the top as a little barrier so he could store a few of his adult tubs on top of it.

Again, for the purposes of holding temperature better, I used belly heat instead of back heat, although I've been told that side heat might have also been efficient, and would have allowed me to use 4 inch heat tape instead of 11 inch, but I imagine the wiring would be significantly more complicated to have heat tape running halfway down each wall on each shelf. "

Thanks

Re: Making a rack

I might make a snake rack a summer project of mine, but I was wondering where I can find 12"x72" (1'x6') sheets of melamine?

Also, I've seen designs* where people have used one continuous piece of heat tape for all the rack's shelves. I like this option because it seems the cheapest and easiest, but how would I regulate the temperature? Would I use a dual-probe thermostat? Where do the probes go on the heat tape exactly?

Apologies for the newby questions. I have no experience with heat tape unless you count T-Rex brand products. =P

*http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/how...t-du-nono.html
    0.1 Normal "Vera"
    1.0 Kenyan sand boa "Haji"
    1.0 Mussurana "Guinness"
    1.1 Cinnamon "Jake & Sybil"
    1.0 Mexican black kingsnake "Set"
    1.0 Patternless Northern pine snake "Ponder"
    1.0 Jaguar carpet python "Django"
    0.1 Tangerine albino Honduran milksnake "Sunny"
    1.0 Blue phase Japanese rat snake "Malachite"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast