Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,949

1 members and 2,948 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    :?: Okay, I admit that I am a beginning herper and I may at times ask questions that seem rather simplistic so I will apologize if that is the case.My main question is : If your Ball Pythons are curled up in their hide is it stressful for them if you pull them out to interact with them or spray them with vitamin spray or anything else that could be intrusive to them??I ask this because my new Ball Apok seemed to get angry at me last nite and he struck out at me and nailed me.The bite was nothing to even trip on but I feel bad that I may have aggravated him to the point where he felt he had to lash out.I blame myself for his behavior....perhaps I rousted him when he was asleep and started messing with him so I deserved his wrath. :shock:

Apok is my newest snake and I want to acclimate him to being handled so he will be as docile as Trinity and Cypher...do any of you guys and gals have any suggestions on how to tame down a feisty ball Python ....??? he sorta has a bit of a mean streak...actually he even looks a bit meaner than my other BPs...sorta has a a wedge shaped head and light golden eyes with visible slit pupils.He is a beautiful snake and I am quite impressed with him but I dont want to stress him out by messing with him too much.
    :wink:

EyeLashViper

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    try to interact with him on the nights.(that is usually when he'll be moving around the tank)that way you don't wake him up and start pplaying with him when he was sleeping because that can really stress them.
    Jesús

Thanks
    If you haven't already done so, let your BP acclimate for about a week before you try to interact with it. I know this may sound kind of crazy, but when you go to pick him up rub one of his sides with your fingure so that he knows your there. And if/when he gets into his ball do not try to undo him. When mine would do that I would pick him and sit down and place him on my stomach and just let him sit there for about 5 to 10 mintues, don't touch him while he is just sitting there. He should come out of his ball, and if he does not do this whenever you go to handle him and he should more tame and start to develop more trust in you as time goes on. Hope that this helps.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could also try putting one of your T-shirts in the cage with him so he can get used to your scent without being disturbed. I don't know how successful that 'method' is, but I've heard good things about it. Good luck with him.

BPs can stress out very easily. When I get a new BP, I leave it alone totally for about 2 weeks or until it has eaten a few times. If stressed, they can go off feed. I also noticed that you said something about 'vitamin spray'......Snakes egt all the vitamins they need from the food they eat. Supplementation is not needed therefore.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    well put david. he pretty much summed it up.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks.....any way I can help.

Thanks
    This probably seems like a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. How bad does it hurt when you get bit by a bp? I am completely new to owning a snake and I sometimes get a little hesitant to holding my bp in fear of getting bit. He has only struck at me one time. But that was when he was first getting ready to shed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    if he does bite you, it will scare you more than hurt you. just like a firm pinch with a few small spikes, might break the skin if he gets you good. but don't be afraid of the bite at all, i've felt more pain from stubbing my toe.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

The important thing is to try and not jerk back....this can yank out teeth and maybe send your snake flying......I've dont this before and I felt really bad afterwards, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast