Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

2 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Humidity whoas....

I'm gettin rather worried about my precious. Its been over a month since she's eaten and she's starting to lose some weight. Not noticably when I hold her, but her scales/skin? are getting loose on her body.

I'm almost positive she's got a RI (and I have an appointment for 10AM on saturday at the only vet in town that treats snakes. Two look at them, but this is the only one that can give her the antibiotic shot she needs (anyone know the name of that shot?)), so should I try to assist feed her before saturday or wait till after the appt and see if she eats on her own?

I've got a couple questions about assist feedings.

1) how do you hold the snake and mouse?
    2) do you use a smaller size mouse/rat than u do if the snake eats normally?
    3) do they usually strike at the mouse once its close or do u have to like jam it in their mouths?

Thanks from a concerned papa.

-Chris

Thanks

Assisted Feeding... how do u go about it?

This is out of "The Guide to Owning a Ball Python" by John Coborn

Occasionally a snake refuses to feed for no apparent reason, or it will refuse because it has or has had a disease. You must treat the snake for its sickness before or in conjunction with assist feeding (consult a veterinarian). There are two ways of assist feeding a Ball Python. The first is to take a whole dead prey animal of suitable size. Next take the snake by the neck and open its mouth by pulling gently but firmly at the loose skin under the jaw. When the mouth is sufficiently open, introduce the head of the prey animal and push it into the gullet as far as you can. Sometimes the snake will start swallowing on its own at this stage. If necessary, use something firm, but not too hard, like the lubricated (in mineral oil) handle of a wooden spoon to push the prey down toward the reptiles stomach. Once it is past the neck region you can usually massage the prey down into the stomach with your hand. Another method of assist feeding is to use an instrument such as a large syring to introdue liquified food into the stomach. The stomach tube to which it is attached should have a smooth end and should be lubricated with mineral oil. You can also use a stomach tube thick enough to force down a whole mouse. The lubricated tube is passed slowly into the snakes gullet and the mouse is pushed down the tube with a plunger. Before you try any of these methods you are perhaps advised to obtain instruction from a veterinarian or a more experienced herpetologist.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    get a pro to do it, definitely.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    It's not hard. I did my first this past Saturday on the vet's instructions. If I were you, I'd see the vet first and get her/his opinion on whether it's to the point that you should assist feed, and if so, s/he will give you a demonstration of how to do it -- mine did.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    I wouldn't do it right now. First go to a vet and let the snake be treated (if necessary). How much weight did he loose in the past months?
    If it are just a few grams there''s no need to worry. My baby BP (well, she's actually almost 10 months old so no baby anymore) hasn't eaten in 10 weeks! But she only lost 35 grams in 10 weeks (and defecated so that counts too for a couple of grams). So that's no need to worry.
    First get him healthy, optimalize the temperature and humidity in the cage and just wait.
    Don't go and assist feeding (or worse force feed) your snake until it looses weight heavily!! Weighing your snake regular is very important in this case!
    Remember, they are BP and they are used to go off feed for a long time. Stressful for the owner but no big deal for the BP.
    1.1 Python regius (Monty Python & Cheetah)
    1.1 Gerrhosaurus major (Falkor & Gizmo)
    0.0.2 Cordylus tropidosternum (Rocco & Senna)
    expected September 3rd, 2004

Thanks
    I'm taking her to the vet at 11am tommorow to have her looked at, treated, and sexxed.

I also was able to get her temps/humidity stabalized the other day which was a big relief for me. It is stressful being the owner and having a BP that won't eat, but I think I am gonna wait and see how she does after being treated.

How long after the shot should I wait before tring to get her to eat?

-Chris
    -Chris

0.1 - Columbian Redtailed Boa - Sprocket <-- now vinnimac's
    0.0.2 - Leopard Geckos - Aflack and Geico <-- LOL

Do NOT try to feed a snake that has an RI.....they generally won't take it anyway and it can cause a number of problems if they do. I think you may be jumping ahead.....BPs can go for up to ayear without food, so a month is no cause for real concern. Get the RI treated first, then once she is healed, try to feed her.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andariel
    How long after the shot should I wait before tring to get her to eat?
    Start weighing your snake regular!!!
    You still haven't told how much grams your snake lost in the past weeks.
    Than you know how much weigh it's loosing. If it doesn't loose weight heavily (and I mean really heavily) don't try to get her to eat. Yes, offer her food regular but do not force anything (so no assist feeding and no force feeding)
    1.1 Python regius (Monty Python & Cheetah)
    1.1 Gerrhosaurus major (Falkor & Gizmo)
    0.0.2 Cordylus tropidosternum (Rocco & Senna)
    expected September 3rd, 2004