Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

3 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wow.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i just witnessed the coolest killing of a rat i've ever seen... peanut was sniffing around the rat, looking interested but not quite ready to strike... he moved over top of the rat and then sort of sniffed its butt, then slowly wrapped around the rats neck with his body, and began to choke the rat. he didnt even have his mouth on the rat at all. he choked it until it died, then ate it like usual... but wow, i'm amazed. sneak attack, bp style...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Were you feeding live or f/t?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    live. peanut eats live, bubba eats dead... well, bubba doesnt eat, but when he does he eats pre-killed.

i like feeding peanut live, he's a very good predator. never had a problem at all, and the only meal he ever skipped was when i switched his cage to a 10 gallon for a couple weeks when i got bubba. if i offer him something dead, he doesnt even acknowledge the fact that it's food. he just slithers on about his merry way.
    -Will

Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

So you see no problem in feeding live? Have you tried to switch your snakes to pre-killed or f/t at all? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you do so.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ive tried a few times actually. and like i said, peanuts the only one that eats live. and i dont see a problem in it if it's closely supervised. although i totally see why you recommend it, i've seen some pretty nasty rat bites.
    -Will

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    back to the point of the post, which was the WAY he killed it. totally awesome.
    -Will

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizill
    ....if i offer him something dead, he doesnt even acknowledge the fact that it's food. he just slithers on about his merry way.
    I think that about answers your question about switching to dead prey, David.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    And that sounds awesome how he ate it. Too bad you couldn't catch it on camera somehow.

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    and ya know jenn, i had the camera ready too... i was going to take another one of those "striking videos", but he seemed so uninterested i put the camera away. about as soon as i got back from putting the camera back in the bag, i noticed him smelling the rat. and the rat just sat there and let him. next thing i knew, the rats face was the only thing i could see, and peanut's head was facing an entirely different direction, nowhere near the rat. i'm still amazed.
    -Will

How hard/long have you tried? It may take some effort, but is well worth it in the long run for you and the snake. I have seen snakes KILLED from a mouse......not a rat, but a MOUSE. One of my snakes was bitten on the head by a mouse when I was ignorantly feedng live and I have since been feeding f/t. One of my '03 BPs gave me a hard time switching over to f/t, but is now eating f/t like a champ. You just gotta be willing to put in the extra effort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast