Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

2 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Why do we feed once a week...I'm just curious because I know in the wild a rodent won't come along every sunday at 8 pm exactly where the BP's hide out is :o Is this something that captive bred BP's have gotten used to? I know that other snakes like gopher/king snakes can go like 2 weeks at the least with a mouse or two...

And have ball pythons ever stopped eating because a change in feeding schedule has gone from one week to every two weeks?

Also, does anyone here feed every two weeks? Especially to the owners of the rat muncher BPs?

Thanks in advance.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    we feed once a week becuase that is what they need to be fat and healthy. in th wild if you averaged out the amount they ate it would probably be a little less then a mouse a week. you probably notice that when your bp eats, it goes and hides for a few days. then its start wondering around its cage every night...it is instinctivly(or just cuz its hungry) going out and looking for something to eat. maybe in the wild a bp will eat 2 or three prey items a week. then go a month and not be able to get any. but here in captivity they can have a mouse (or rat) a week and live happily.
    my little male is still on mice. i feed it every two weeks cuz im sick of it refusing its food. i have to feed it 4 mice each feeding, so if i defrost 4 and it only eats two then those mice are wasted (i dont refreeze more than once). i cant wait to get it switched to rats... also...a questionfor those more experienced then me....isnt it true that an adult would only need an appropriatly sized rat every 2 weeks because its not growing(much) anymore? or do they still eat every week.....???

Snakes in general are designed to go long timespans without food. I have heard of Ball Pythons who go go on 6-8 month fasts sometimes. We feed more often for the same reason we make sure they have clean cages and optimal temps......because we want our animals to be healthy and happy.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I feed anyone who wants to eat. I don't necissarily wait two weeks to feed my adults. I wait anywhere from 7-10 days on them. BUT..I have '03's that I feed every 4 days, and if one decides not to eat, I can easily throw it in an adults' cage, and they snatch it up quick. So, I have a set schedule for all of them, but it's up to them what their schedule will be. They know when they want to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by emroul
    I feed anyone who wants to eat. I don't necissarily wait two weeks to feed my adults. I wait anywhere from 7-10 days on them. BUT..I have '03's that I feed every 4 days, and if one decides not to eat, I can easily throw it in an adults' cage, and they snatch it up quick. So, I have a set schedule for all of them, but it's up to them what their schedule will be. They know when they want to eat.
    I have to disagree with you on this, Jennifer. Snakes in the wild are not guaranteed their next meal, so even in captivity they still hold onto all or most of their natural instincts. I think if you offer food, they will eat it whether or not they are hungry out of pure instinct......which is why its alot easier than people think to overfeed your snake(s). Personally, I think every 4 days is a little excessive. I have a couple of '03 balls and I feed them every 7 days. They are growing just fine and are completely healthy. I think over-feeding can be just as dangerous if not moreso than underfeeding.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's true. But as long as I can see there is no obesity forming, I don't think it's too harmful for them. You see, like I said, my "schedule" for them is every four days. Whether or not they take it is up to them. Today I tried feeding 7 '03's. (Their last feeding was December 30). Out of those, 6 of them accepted their meal (the one that didn't accept was a male). I weigh them regularily, and their growth rate certainly isn't anything out of this world. It amazes me when I see early 2003's at 1,000 grams. I've seen it more than once around the forums. Mine are all roughly 400-600 grams each (born between April-July). I don't think that's a dangerous growth rate. I hate to see '03's at 100 grams. (Unless they were born in October or something). Everyone has their own opinion. You stated yours, and I completely agree (about the natural insticts); I just don't think my 'schedule' or 'situation' fits under the criteria of endangering my animals.

Its not just about obesity though......snakes are designed to go long periods without food if the need be. If you feed them too frequently, you can tax their internal systems greatly without knowing it. They will often gorge themselves because of instinct and their keepers base it on the animal being "hungry." I am not saying you are wrong or attacking, so don't take it like that. Just tossing some stuff out there to think about.

Thanks
    Your all very right, but back to the original question!

For those who feed rats, do you do it weekly or biweekly?

Banned
    Thanks
    David, bp's can even go over a year without eating....scary.

I feed rats, and I do it every 2.5 weeks when Monty is in the mood. For the babies who are on mice, I feed them every 5 days.

Thanks
    I fed a female BP that was close to five feet a large rat every two weeks, I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast