Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,891

1 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    First question is shedding. My male bp Dante had his first shed since I've owned him about a week ago. Everything came off except for some skin on the top of his head to near the base of where his neck begins.

Is there an easy and painless way I can remove this from him, or will I cause him harm? For the most part he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

My other question is for those who feed rats to their BP's. I fed Dante his first rat yesterday. (damn those things can scream :shock: ). Anyway I remember some folks saying they fed their BP's one rat every three weeks. Is that the norm or should I keep him on his once a week feeding schedule? The last few months I've owned him, he's been a voracious feeder.

Anyway thanks for your help, and thanks for running such a information friendly board!

Thanks

Couple quick questions

On your first question, it sounds like your humidity is close, but a tad low for shed time. What are you keeping it at? 50 to 60 is a fine range, but during shed bump it to 70 or so. Did you give him a soak? Humid hides, or a lidded water dish with access hole in lid over heat pad can provide a sweet retreat.

Yeah, rats are noisy when it comes to being eaten. They can bite, too. Be careful feeding live, you'll feel terrible if Dante gets chewed up. I feed Xaero young rats now and I put them in a bag and smack against a door frame. They don't argue much after that.............
    Lots of us feed f/k or f/t. It's not that hard to get them to switch and saves us lots of forehead slapping and expensive vet trips :cry:

Thanks
    Tray, before this last shed my snake had incomplete sheds aswell.
    All you have to do is give him a soak for about 5 minutes in some water that is about 80-85 degrees (remember what we think is warm is probably quit hot to them) them gently rub the offending skin away from Dante.
    Michael

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Feeding them one rat once every 3 weeks is way too long in between feedings. I would stick to your once a week schedule. (You could even feed him twice a week like I do if he eats voraciously.) How old is Dante?

Thanks

Why do we feed this way?

Honestly I have no clue as to what my humidity level is. I do have a temperature gauge but for some reason the side bar for humidity never lights up. Before he shed though he did spend a good afternoon soaking in his waterdish. Its a huge rock dish and he can almost completely soak his body in it.

Also I do mist every morning / evening lightly inside the cage. I purchased Dante from LLL reptile, they said that was more then sufficient to keep proper humidity. If thats wrong, please let me know how to change it!!

As for taking him out and soaking him, would putting warm water inside say like the kitchen sink and sticking him in there be safe? Also I'm scared to ask, but does that involve putting his head underneath the water?? I don't want to drown him =p.

As far as feeding, I'll definately keep him on the one week schedule then.

I'm not to sure how old he is. When he was sold to me all I was told was he's a captive bred juvenile. If I had to guess I'd say he's about two feet in length total if that helps.

Banned
    Thanks
    You can dip a bp's head for a few seconds with no worries. Heck, when I bathe them they go around with their head under neath flicking their tongue like normal.

Thanks
    Get a working hygrometer as soon as you can. Humidity is as right up there with temp on the importance scale. You may even find that once you get temp levels and humidity levels proper that Dante's behavior and feeding attitude may improve. If a bp is stressed at all it won't want to do much of anything but wait for things to get better. I noticed you say he's been a good eater in the past......however now it's winter and gettin dry all around. Your levels were most likely fine, but now have fluctuated and he's tweaked about it. Who knows for sure, such funny creatures they are. Left mine a chalk board and a copy of hooked on phonics so he can learn to write me a message if things go wrong..........

Thanks
    Actually I think I've found something on line called a reptiflow 250 that might work, anyone know if its good / safe for controlling proper humidity?

As far as his behavior, I couldn't tie him down. Everything I've read says thats bp's are mostly nocturnal, yet he's running around his cage at all hours. I've never seen him curl into a ball either, except maybe when he's in one of his hides.

I'm assuming being a voracious eater and highly active is a good thing.

Thanks
    Search the forum here for ReptiFlo and you'll see how popular it is! That should definitely help your humidity, but buy a hygrometer anyway. You can find a basic one to monitor your humidity for under $10 in a national chain pet store, or a better one online for $15-$20 plus shipping. Your snake needs 40% to 60% humidity most of the time and ~70% when in shed, but you don't want it that high for him all the time.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Wizill has one. I have a pump in my dish from a desktop fountain. If you use anything other than the actual reptiflo, make sure it has an adjustable pressure. Luckily mine does, saving me a trip to the store. Works extremely well, humidity is constantly great. Need more, and adjust flow accordingly. Nice!
    Both of us have pics of it in our albums.....
    Xaero doesn't seem to mind the pump (it's quiet and I found that if you place it in the middle, the vibration all but disappears), I've seen him drink, but have yet to see him soak. Maybe be does it while I'm asleep, but I've never caught him doing it.
    I highly reccomend these little pumps. Most have suction cups for feet and stay put very well.
    As far as him being exceptionally active, unless you've been cleaning with bleach and not rinsing well (he would most surely try to get away from the smell of cleaning products), or he doesn't approve of his hides for whatever reason, I probably wouldn't worry about it......he's probably hunting or just likes to move around. If he's giving you trouble going to thawed, you can try stun/killing first,or do the no-no and feed him in his cage where he will be less stressed. I use a feed box with astro turf on the floor. He won't eat in the box without it. Apparently having something familiar to lay on is a big deal to him.
    Have fun learning what your critter wants............ :?