Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,635

0 members and 1,635 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    What are sperm plugs? How can you tell if a male BP is producing sperm plugs? At what age do male BP start producing them? How difficult is it to breed BP's? I'm sorry if these questions seem dumb but I know nothing about breeding BP's. The only species of snake that I know about breeding are Boa Constrictors.

Thanks
    Well let me start with the Sperm Plug. You can push from the tail toward the vent and a small white substance will come out. It kinda looks like a small white worm, one on each side, one for each hemipene. Sorry if that is not easy to understand, but it is hard to put into words. :roll: Most males will start producing sperm around a year of age, or about 600 grams in weight. Now as for breeding Ball Pythons, if you have bred boas there is not alot of differance. You should cycle your animals by lower temps and making the daylight shorter. Copulation will usually start soon thereafter and last a couple of months. The female will ovulate and lay eggs, its that simple. The main differance is a shorter gestation, and of course, eggs. Let me know if you need more specifics and I would be happy to help out.
    Jason