Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

1 members and 2,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: 3 year old

Thanks
    He wont eat anything but live food. I tried to feed him a thawed rat and he ate that one but ever since then he wont eat anything but live. What should i do i have a vision cage for him hes so happy with it but i can't get him to shed right. I put a humidity box in there but still he wont shed in one piece it's about 40 to 50% 24-7 and i don't know what it is in the box. Please help. thanks

Thanks
    Are you attempting to feed in his cage? Or in a feed box? Mine gave me trouble with his first thawed, too. I read that they may be a little cooler with it if you leave them in the cage. Then bring in the thawed with some tongs or hemostats and give it a dangle in front of the hide. Worked for me, was a little like fishing. Now I feed in a feed box (just a big cardboard box with the flaps taped staight up for more security) with astro turf like in his tank. He seems to feel safe there and will eat thawed in the box.
    If he still wont eat thawed, then buy live and stun/kill it before feeding. Anything to avoid a nasty bite!
    If that doesn't do it, wrap the rats muzzle in some biodegradable surgical thread......................LOL
    now I'm getting silly...... :roll:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

SHIPPING a snake

Welcome to bp.net

About the feeding, do you know if he is a wild caught fresh import, or captive bred, or Long-term captive? How long have you had him? What are the temps inside the cage, and how are you monitoring them? Answers to these questions could contribute to why he is not eating f/t for you, if he used to no problem. Also, he is old enough to go off feed for the entire winter, has he done this yet? Maybe he is just being picky because of that. But look at it this way, at least he didn't totally go of feed.

And about the shedding problem... 40%-50% humidity is a little too low. Try shooting for 60% and at least 70% from the time his eyes turn blue until the day he sheds. (I just spray the sides of the enclosure about twice a day to keep the humidity up high during his shed cycle). This should help.

Good luck.
    Jennifer

Thanks
    Hello again thanks Jenn for welcomeing me to the forum and site. Well i have had him for 6 month, and no i don't know if he is captive or wild, but i know that they feed him live mice. I feed him life mice to but i found out what those nasty things can do to a beatful reptile so i don't want that to happen. About a 2 months ago he ate a thawed rat for me with no problem but he was really hungry then. Shorty after that he went into shed, about a week ago i tried to feed him agin but he didn't want anything to do with the thawed rat. I don't know if it was to hot or what, i warm the rat up really warm, and then put it in the plastic container with him. But he didn't do anything to it this time, he has lost weight a little and im worried. I have a Vision cage with a 75 watt. reptile light in it and the temp is in the 90s under that, then i have a heating pad on the front left on the bottom of the cage. The cool sides get to 80s to midd 70s. The hum, is about 50% but i heard misting the cage can cause skin problems. I hope that helps some. if not Email me at Ballpythonandragon@yahoo.com Thanks Aaron

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have found no problems spraying the sides of the cage, not the actual substrate. (Which, you are right, it could cause scale rot if they sit in moisture for too long.) I have also put a little bucket or dish in there filled half way with water and put like 2 or 3 paper towels in there. Put it on the hot side of the tank, and in no time, we're talking 75% humidity. Nice for the DAY you suspect they will shed. I wouldn't leave it in there too long (for days or something), that's asking for an RI.

Well, did you try shaking the f/t rat in front of his face before laying them in the plastic containter together, to see if he is interested? How much weight has he lost? If it is a couple grams, I wouldn't worry about it. But did you say the last time he ate f/t was two months ago, or the last time he ate PERIOD (not even live) was two months ago? Because if he will still eat live willingly, by all means, feed him. Just monitor the feedings closely, and there won't be a problem. ( I dangle the live rats over their head and the grab it out of my hand sometimes (the ones that don't eat f/t). Otherwise, if he won't eat at all, it is completely normal for ball pythons to go off feed this time of year (ESPECIALLY males).

Jennifer