Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

2 members and 3,101 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snyder update

Thanks
    I just got back a short time ago from taking Snyder to see the doc. First off, I can stop referring to her as "s/he", because she's female. Second, her weight is 110g, obviously light for her 22" length. Third, Dr. Tyler didn't have a lot of hopeful things to say for Snyder.

She's started exhibiting neuro symptoms, such as not immediately righting herself when turned upside down. She's still dehydrated, though her spine isn't as prominent as when I got her. The doc administered sub-cue electrolyte fluids and a dose of Panacur (in case, didn't get a fecal sample). She did say that Snyder is tick-free (I hadn't seen any), appears now to be mite-free as well, and that the habitat sounds good.

She recommended upping the temp in the warm end to 90+, soaking her for at least an hour a day, and force-feeding a pinky tomorrow and mid-week. She (doc) gave Snyder better than even odds of survival, but that's about it. I doubt Snyder's chances would even be that good if it weren't for the good folks here and elsewhere with all the useful info, so thanks, and think good thoughts for Snyder.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Snyder update

That's very good to hear that you were able to take Snyder to the vet. When I saw the pics you posted of her, I noticed she looked underweight. But what do you expect for a baby ball that won't eat. :roll: Ah, the joys of being a bp owner. Glad to hear she got treated for internal parasites, as well. Just take the vets advice, and in no time, she should be a nice healthy little girl. Did she explain to you thoroughly (or give you some sort of manual) on how to force feed?

Thanks
    She demonstrated force-feeding her with the syringe with the Panacur in it, so I think I'll be able to do it. Never had to with my others, but there's a first time for everything. I asked her about feeding egg yolk since the pinkies are mostly fat, and doc was concerned she'd aspirate, but I was thinking I could take a F/T pinky, and fill it up with egg yolk before force-feeding to add a little protein. What do you think?
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Banned
    Thanks
    Best of luck with her, I'm writing some medical articles for the site, check back in like two days they might have topics you'll find interesting and helpful.

Thanks
    Thanks, John, I'll do that.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks

It keeps getting better!!!

Marla, you sound as if you're doing all the right things for her. Best of luck with her and please keep us updated.

Thump

Thanks
    Thanks, Thump, I'm trying.

I put a second light on top to boost the heat to 90 throughout (it worked), but the humidity dropped from 50% to 35% (with three water sources!), so I put a damp washcloth in on top of her rock hide. That worked, but I've turned off the white light for the night, and temp is now down near 80. The red light just doesn't give enough light for me to read the gauges, so can anyone tell me if there is another bulb type that won't disturb her day/night cycles but will put out enough light for me to check temp and humidity? This room gets next to no ambient light, and obviously none at night.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Why can't you just take a flashlight to see the gauges? :? That wouldn't change the reading in such a short amount of time...

Thanks
    Flashlight's a good idea. For humidity, a quick easy fix is a little pump inside a larger water dish......
    check the repti-flo article. Me and Wizill use pumps, you can see them in our photos. Has done wonders for me, I live in michigan where it's cold and dry this time of year. I also heat with wood for a backup source and that'll suck up humidity like a bad dream. Now I get solid 60 with no misting or any effort on my part. For shed I can adjust the control on the pump and get a little higher of a fountain which bumps up humidity another notch.
    Also check out the tropic-aire humidifier.............either of these devices is the way to go IMO, makes humidity a lot less of a chore
    Good luck with your bp

Thanks
    With the red light running all night and the damp washcloth in there, morning read was 80F cool side, 85F warm side, ~48% humidity, so I think that will work for nights for the moment. I have read the Repti-Flo article and looked at one at the store the other day, but I need to watch my money flow so I think I'll check through my fish tank stuff and see if I can find an old pump or something and, if not, stay lower tech for the moment as long as it's actually working. I had to uncover the screen to get the second lamp on, so maybe I can rig something with aluminum foil that will stop some of the humidity leaving the tank.

As far as a flashlight, this is me hitting myself upside the head for not thinking of that. Duh. :roll:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast