Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,383

2 members and 1,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cannibal mouse

Thanks
    Here is a link to nutritional requirements of lab mice:
    http://www.afrma.org/bc_mineralproteinmice.htm
    For breeding girls, 16 is a bit too low so there is a slight chance that she's eating the babies to gain what she's low on. However, this still takes something overriding instinct to protect/raise.

Mice can also be genetically predisposed to killing their own young. Mostly you see it in inbred strains but I've even seen it in genetically diverse strains. Culling is the easiest way to deal with it because even though she might start having 'normal' litters with no problem, her babies have a higher likelihood of continuing the pattern.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracoluna For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (05-21-2012)

Thanks
    Good post Dracoluna. My mice get between 20 and 24% depending on what my mix includes. I have much larger mice, show mice, so they have a lot more growing to do than the average mouse, so I keep my protein levels high.

Thanks

Re: cannibal mouse

i already feed her off to ma snakes i was thinking of buying mice from petco and breed those mice. the 1s i had were just mice my snakes hadnt ate and i tried to breed them. also what kind of food do you guys recomend and also what do you guys think of breeding petco mice?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaGv View Post
    i already feed her off to ma snakes i was thinking of buying mice from petco and breed those mice. the 1s i had were just mice my snakes hadnt ate and i tried to breed them. also what kind of food do you guys recomend and also what do you guys think of breeding petco mice?
    I've done breeding colonies with Petco mice but they are generally inbred to begin with so you are constantly culling. Whenever I got them from a breeder (he got them from labs), I didn't have as many issues with cannibalism. As for food, I always fed mouse chow with supplements of nuts and seeds. Many nuts have higher protein content than the chow does. They were also given unlimited alfalfa/timothy hay. It allowed them to choose what they felt they needed. Some were content with just mouse chow while others ignored it in favor of the other options.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoluna View Post
    I've done breeding colonies with Petco mice but they are generally inbred to begin with so you are constantly culling. Whenever I got them from a breeder (he got them from labs), I didn't have as many issues with cannibalism. As for food, I always fed mouse chow with supplements of nuts and seeds. Many nuts have higher protein content than the chow does. They were also given unlimited alfalfa/timothy hay. It allowed them to choose what they felt they needed. Some were content with just mouse chow while others ignored it in favor of the other options.
    i got a pair from petco i dont belive their related tho the female is dif color and age the male is younger i will try with those. i also got their food from petco wich has 20 or 22% protein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123