Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,961

0 members and 2,961 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Preventing Theft at Reptile Shows

The title says it all. I was reading some articles recently and wanted to know how everyone prevents theft at the reptile shows they vend? I know most people use acrylic display cases but what other precautions do you take? Do you let there be 10 snakes out of their displays if people want to view them? I assume its always best to have several friends at your table to help watch.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    1 snake out at a time...

most cases are long and heavy, so someone just can't pick them up and run.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

Thanks
    So you just tell the customers that they have to wait until the other person is done?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes. Any serious buyer wouldn't mind waiting.

to be honest most vendors don't let you hold the snake unless the sale is almost final...

Nobody wants their snakes to get sick.
    Last edited by lovepig78; 11-07-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

Thanks

Re: Preventing Theft at Reptile Shows

Quote Originally Posted by sorazme View Post
    So you just tell the customers that they have to wait until the other person is done?
    Yes. Only one snake out at a time. A common theft method is to distract the breeder at one end of the table, while an accomplice is removing animals at the other end. It is unfortunate that you have to conduct business like this, but you have to face reality. Another thing I do is keep all normals and cheaper morphs at one end of the display and make sure I position myself at the opposite end.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I know a few people at my local shows like to put some netting across their free standing containers if they don't have acrylic displays.
    It's not visually nice, but it does it's job.

Thanks
    If you can link up with another breeder and share tables then you can get more eyes on your animals. I have always wondered though, anyone know what the legalities are on chaseing someone down and getting your snakes back forcively? I mean what if you watched someone take something off your table.....I can't really just see myself waiting for the police to show up as that can take 30-90 minutes or more.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, we did our first show in October, and the first day we were mobbed by kids wanting to handle snakes. At one point I realized we had my lavender albino, two pieds, and a genetic stripe out. It was a mad theft risk. (And I think it was driving away customers, because they had to wade through throngs of kids just get to the table. I like mobs of kids, especially enthusiastic ones, but plenty of adults just can't deal with ten or fifteen of them at once.)

So we instituted a one snake out at a time rule.

We also had locking acrylic cases. And there were two of us, so the table was always manned.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    If you can link up with another breeder and share tables then you can get more eyes on your animals. I have always wondered though, anyone know what the legalities are on chaseing someone down and getting your snakes back forcively? I mean what if you watched someone take something off your table.....I can't really just see myself waiting for the police to show up as that can take 30-90 minutes or more.
    I think anything over $250 or $500 (can't think right now) is a felony here.
    Oops that normal you just took was really a double het that was priced at $600. Now you are a felon, thanks come again. :p

People who steal are the lowest of scum. I would chase them down, get a plate number or something. Tell the cops they are being held at gun point and I bet a few show up before the 90 min mark.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    We typically have about 6 people at the booth when we help out Rons Reptiles. We have a method of diverting the mobs of kids that just want to "hold a snake". Distraction is key! We take out one of the BIG snakes and keep it at one end of the booth! Also having that many eyes on the animals/merchandise really helps! I dont know how the big booths with only 1 or 2 people do it! Honestly, theft would be simple without enough eyes.
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tfpets For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (11-07-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast