Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,263

0 members and 1,263 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I got up this morning and went to check the temps in the cage and the hot side was 75. I opened it up to check and the heating pad isn't working. So I turned the basking lamp on and that has brought the temp up to where it should be. I unplugged the pad in hopes that it needs a break. Do you always leave a heating pad on, or should you unplug it periodically? I have only had it since this past Tuesday, and have had it on the whole time. Thanks,

Jeremy

Thanks

Problem with heating pad

Lastdoctor, good morning. I've had my heating pad on constantly for the last month with no problems. I check temps & humidity several times a day but have been concerned as to whether or not I should leave it on 24/7. I'm interested in hearing answers to your question as well.

Thanks
    Yup, I'm also using a medium sized (8 x 11) heating pad 24/7. Have it hooked up to a sliding dimmer that I got at Wal-Mart (for all your herp needs!). Got it set so the floor hits 91.8. Has been running for a little over a week now with no probs. I couldn't find a human heating pad no matter where I looked that didn't turn itself off after two hours (safety reasons) so I wound up paying about 20 bucks for the one I'm using from a pet store. Maybe yours cooked from running full tilt the whole time.........or do you use a dimmer?
    Your problem has got me thinking that I should go and get a spare in case the one I'm using craps out........
    How are you checking your floor temp over the heat pad? I use a simple digital oral thermometer. Only cost a few bucks at the pharmacy and has been quite reliable.........just stick the sensor end under an edge of the hide to hold it against the floor nice and firmly for a few minutes, then take a reading.
    However, I am saving my nickels for a handy dandy temp gun!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think that for the most part anyone who uses an UTH leaves it on 24/7.

Thanks
    Have had mine for approx. 3 months running 24/7 with no problem. Floor stay's right around 88.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    We always leave our UTH's on 24 / 7.
    I think we probably have about 20 or so running plus 2 pig blankets, they are always on also.
    I've never had a problem. I do always inspect all of them to make sure there is no fire hazard and such
    Thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    I run my uth 24/7 has run for 6 mos. no problems so far. the tempholds at 90 on the floor.
    oops i just checked it make that between 88 and 90.
    Michael

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i have 4 that run all day and all night, in fact i dont think i've turned them off since I bought them... months at a time.

wal-mart has the greatest heating pads.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Heating pads for human use will have at least one safety device installed, if not two. As already mentioned, many of them will turn themselves off after a certain length of time, and in my experience, most home electrical heating devices also contain a thermal fuse that is designed to cut off the electricity if the internal workings get too hot. Unfortunately, these are "one shot" fuses, so if it goes, you either take a trip to the local electrical supply store and get a replacement, or you go buy a new electrical appliance.

UTH's will vary in how they're supposed to be used. One brand that I have requires open air beneath it so that it does not overheat and damage itself, while the other recommends insulating beneath it to direct the heat up into the enclosure. I guess it all depends on how they manufacture them. At any rate, mine have been running steady for weeks with no problems.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

Thanks
    I plugged it back in after I had cleaned out the cage and it is working again. Seems kind of strange. I will definately keep an eye on it. This is kind of off subject. I just got my first bp, and first snake for that matter, on Tuesday and handled him for the first time today. It was really weird. The other day I had picked him up to move him in his cage so I could change the water and he was ok. After I had sat him down, I was gently petting him and he struck at me. More of a leave me alone thing as opposed to trying to bite. Since then I have been a little hesitant to touch him. It is really weird as I am 6'4" 300lbs and generally fear nothing. All of the sudden I am almost scared to touch a little 24" python. I finally worked up the nerve and got him out. I know it's hilarious. I put him in a little warm water in the bath tub so I could clean out his cagewhile my wife watched him. I got him out to put him back in his cage and he started moving around a lot and I started freaking out. I got him back in ok without any problems. I feel like an idiot telling everybody this. Go ahead and laugh, I am still laughing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast