Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,862

2 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: temp guns

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Cedar or Aspen for feeders?

whats the difference in quality when buying a temp gun thats $100 dollars vs. $40. besides that fancy laser sight. haha. -Mike

temp guns

The difference is that temp guns are cheaper and much more practical to use......go with a temp gun.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i have an awesome temperature gun. laser and everything. i found it on the ground at my college.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    wha??i have a temp gun. i was wondering why some are $100 and some are $40. and what the difference is between the two.

The only difference is that the more expensive ones are bigger and have lasers. They are clunky and very un-cool looking if you ask me, lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Mine has a laser, and isn't clunky and un-cool looking. :wink: :lol:

Well, most of the ones I've seen fall under that category, lol.

Banned
    Thanks

any ideas?

Quality diff? Hey, if it gets the job done....

The more expensive does not mean it's better. Then again... I don't own one

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Theoretically, a more expensive one should have a higher degree of accuracy, and possibly better resolution. A cheap unit may show only to the whole degree, while a more expensive unit may show to the tenth of a degree. The cheap unit may be calibrated to +/- 1 degree, whereas the expensive unit may be calibrated to +/- .1 degree. For the home use of checking the temp of a reptile enclosure, a cheap unit that displays only the whole degrees, with an accuracy of +/- 1 degree, may be just fine. If all you care about is that the terrarium is somewhere in the 85 degree range (for instance), you don't necessarily need to know that it is precisely 83.7 degrees.

Also, if the features are comparable and one is considerably cheaper than the other, it might call into question the quality of the workmanship. I've noticed that on inexpensive home electronic devices, the assembly job is often "quick and dirty". The circuit board is not cleaned after the soldering job, which itself is often sloppy. After all, it takes more time to diligently make good solder joints and to clean the board thoroughly afterwards, plus higher quality devices are typically inspected to be sure all the assembly steps meet a set standard of excellence, and deficient assemblies are sent back for rework. The extra time and effort costs money, which is passed on to the consumer in higher costs. A cheap unit may be slapped together as quickly as possible, and given a brief functional test to be sure it works before it gets shipped out the door. Any unit that doesn't work may be sent back for rework, or, depending on the cost of the parts versus the cost of rework, it may just be scrapped. Often, the cost of troubleshooting a deficient assembly is more than the cost of just building a whole new assembly.

Just as an example of what I'm talking about, take a look at the difference in price between Audiovox home electronics and Sony home electronics. A similarly featured Audiovox will be less than half the cost of a Sony, but I've quit buying anything Audiovox because I've had too many such items bad right out of the box, and the long term reliability is very poor. Conversely, my experiences with Sony have all been very good in the quality and reliability of their products, leading me to the conclusion that their products are actually more cost effective in the long run than the Audiovox. Audiovox sells products by making them cheap and appealing to the "low price" market, while Sony sells products by establishing a reputation for making quality products and appealing to the "trusted brand" market.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Mine is Craftsman.. I'll get a pic up soon.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.