Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

0 members and 3,215 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Mediterranean House Geckos

What do u guys keep ur feeders on? I had the one mouse on the astroturf section i had cut for her old 10 gallon tank (in the 10 gallon tank) but th emouse didn't seem to like it and started chewin it up to make a nest. So I went to the petstore today to get Andariel a CHE (BTW, works great so far got a 100W cause the 50W repti bulb i had wasn't keepin the temps up quite high enough and she started to blow bubbles, but the heat is about 85 degrees ambient right now so that'll clear up soon). And I asked the guy at teh store and he looked in a book and said that aspen would be better for the mice/snake...

I remember someone sayin that snakes shouldn't feed off anything that was on some certain kinda substrate cause it was poisonous or somethin. Was that Cedar or Aspen? (If its aspen Imma go get some other stuff tonight for the mice).

BTW, I'm askin cause i picked up three mice today and instead of whackin them and throwin them away one at a time as I have been (since i didn't have a suitable enclosure for the feeders before) I'm gonna keep these until she eats them, then get a couple more. I also got a brown and two black mice this time, since Andariel didn't seem very interested in the "white lab mice". Maybe color does make a difference, we'll see.

Thanks

-Chris

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just as you don't want you snake on cedar you probably shouldn't put the feeders on it either. I don't keep my own feeders, but this is what I've read others say.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    snakes can't see colors.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Aspen....definitely.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i've always heard good things about aspen.
    -Will

Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Aspen works well.
    The deal with cedar (and all wood shavings) is that there is a natural oil in the shavings. Said oil (which is extra strong in cedar) causes severe respitory problems in small animals and reptiles. This can lead to death.
    I always recommend aspen or Carefresh (the later is better but much more pricey) I accually mix both together to make the carefresh last a bit longer for my rabbit and six ferrets.
    Ok, that's about it.
    thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Banned
    Thanks
    Cedar is extremely toxic to all reptiles...so it would not be a good idea to keep them on it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizill
    snakes can't see colors.
    then what do they see? i agree they may not be able to tell the difference between brown and black...but definitely they can see white and black. you might also think they wouldnt be able too tell the difference because of poor eyesight(that came to my mind anyway) but i have heard it said by a few people that african snakes seem to have better eyesight and be able to recognize different things better then snakes from other places. anyways... i have a BP that will not take white mice but will always take black...thats my evidence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    you use coincidence as evidence?
    -Will

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    youve never heard of anyone elses ball python not accepting white mice but taking black? its something ive come across a few times. but do you really believe that they cant see the difference between black and white?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast