Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,119

0 members and 2,119 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question on behavior

Hi everyone. I just had a quick question as to whether any of you have witnessed similar behavior from your bloods in the past.

First off, I have a four year old Borneo Blood. I am the second owner and have only had him for about a year. This guy handles fairly well for a blood but is very talkative (he hisses at everything), though he has never struck at anybody.

Anyways, my blood, Cepheus, just went through a bad shed. The wife and I worked on him for about two hours last night and got the rest of the shed off but his behavior was completely unexpected. Usually, he squirms all over while being handled. He never tries to get away but just doesn't seem to get comfortable. Last night, however, he stayed perfectly still for almost the entire time the wife and I worked him over. Even when I got to his neck and head, areas where he is extremely touchy (and I was certain he was going to bite me), he didn't move a muscle or even hiss!

So my question is this: I know that pythons and snakes as a whole are instinctual creatures. They have no real "feelings" for anything except fear and safety but could they also sometimes understand when they are being helped?

That is the only explanation I have for his behavior last night but it seemingly flies in the face of what I know about the behavior of snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I believe its very possible that he knew you were helping him. I always have felt like im one of those people who is "good" with animals. Idk, i cant really explain it but i feel like whenever i help one or handle it they know that im helping and/or not a threat. Except for the chipmunks in my garden, Im known to them as the grim reaper lol!
    Sorta just how i feel, but im sure someones gunna come on here and say snakes have no emotions. They feel hunger and horny, thats it. They are most likely correct, im not saying theyre wrong, but i still have my own opinion...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Man, are you lucky he was still. When my big blood has a bad shed and I have to remove it for him. It AIN'T fun!

However, if it's very out of character I would watch him closely for a little while. See if his cage behavior has changed. Is he basking more or less? Refusing food? Things like that. I see it's been about a week so let us know what happens.