Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,660

1 members and 2,659 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

Where to keep an extra?

Alright,

So I went out and purchased some live ASF rats for my balls. I keep 5 at my girls place and one at mine.

After feeding hers, I put it away and went home.

Once I got home I found that I had actually bought 7 ASFs instead of 6. My spider ate one very happily, but she wasn't so keen on going for seconds.

So now I have an extra ASF. I don't want to go throw it in my neighbors yard or anything (JOKING). I have it sitting in a sliding mesh top terrarium, with lots of aspen and a vine for good measure.

I've heard that these things have nasty sharp teeth and could easily bite through the metal mesh.

What do you guys suggest I use to keep him, if not til next feeding then til I can go back to my girls and see if one of the other 5 are interested in a second meal.
    0.1 Normal - "Yoko"
    1.1 100% Albino Het. "Syd", "Vici"
    1.0 Pinstripe "Thor"
    0.1 Spider - "Mantra"

Thanks

Re: Where to keep an extra?

ASF's aren't as bad as some people say. Regular rats are much worse. They will not chew through your metal cage top if they don't have a way up there. they will chew apart your vine decoration however, I would remove that. I keep 5 breeding colonies in glass cages with screen tops. no-one has chewed through it. just make sure nothing is in there where it can climb to the top. it is more likely to lift the top and escape. just drop in an empty mac and cheese box or something for it to hide in. Aspen is good, if you do not have any seeds or rat food, they will eat veggies and fruit. They like spinach leaves, carrots, apples, oranges. they drink a lot of water. if you don't have a rodent water bottle, place a small shallow dish of water (about 1 once). the ASF will drink some then probably cover it with Aspen and use it as a litter box. just clean it out every day. They are very clean, and do not have a strong odor like regular rats. if you plan on getting more ASF's you may want to get a water bottle and some lab block rat food.

Try feeding your BP's in 4 days. someone is bound to take it. good luck they are sweet little animals and BP's love them

Tom
    Tom

0.1 Citrus Pewter
    1.1 Butterscotch Orange Ghost
    1.2 Lesser
    0.1 Blonde Pastel
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Het Clown
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 IMG Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.6 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Panther Chameleon
    1.1 Red Eye Tree Frog
    1.0 Albino Red Eye tree Frog
    1.0 Waxy Monkey Frog
    1.2 Human Children

Thanks

Re: Where to keep an extra?

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to get my hands on some carrots or something and get my vine out.
    Me being like every other snake owner, I have about 20 thousand hides scattered randomly throughout my animal room.

Luckily for me, my girlfriend misinterpreted my organized chaos for mere chaos, and created chaos through re-organizing my organized chaos.. (Wrap your head around that) LOL.

I agree with the BPs loving them though. I had been very short supplied for feeders and they were all getting a little impatient with tiny adult mice.
    0.1 Normal - "Yoko"
    1.1 100% Albino Het. "Syd", "Vici"
    1.0 Pinstripe "Thor"
    0.1 Spider - "Mantra"