Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

0 members and 2,939 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I don’t look like a snake owner?

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightgdess View Post
    Well I'm all over the place lol. I'm a 29 yr old mom of a 2 yr old boy, a 10 month old girl, I have brown, pink, purple, and blue hair, tattoos and piercings.... But I own a poodle and like country music, and groom foofy dogs for a living lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    I love it!
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    should have been wearing you sanke keeper decoder ring.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    yeah maybe because your a woman and maybe the way you were dressed not saying that other female snake owners dress crazy or something just saying you might of have been dressed with some nice clothes. i would say that any female can own snakes some may look like they dont but you would be surprised what girls own snakes..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JaGv For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I constantly hear that I don't "look" like a person who owns snakes. There's always that added shock when they hear how many and that I own boas as well, as if they are man-eating monsters that I couldn't handle I don't understand it either, I always laugh it off or kill them with my knowledge on it
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    On the corns discussion, I know a lot of girls here never go past corn snakes and beardies except for the occasional leo. I've had a lot of female snake keepers (all corns) ask me what I'm going to do with Quetzal once he gets to be 8+ft long. I just tell them I'd be impressed if he ever got to that length in the first place.

I think the stereotype is just that girls are supposed to like cute fluffy mammals and boys are supposed to like the big and tough reptiles, so girls get poodles and boys get burms. Kinda like the stereotype that men aren't supposed to have fluffy froofroo little dogs, and girls shouldn't have dobes and mastiffs. So a lot of young female keepers fall into the trap of only staying with beginner reptiles such as corns and beardies and never push past that.

I might not be the best person to ask about gender roles, but when I get my own house instead of an apartment, I'm totally getting some monitors (but first some easier lizards to start me off, of course).
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Quetzal)
    0.1 Spotted Cream Tabby, Moggie (Saffron)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazi For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    should have been wearing you sanke keeper decoder ring.
    Bummer...Maybe its still in the cereal box!

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    I constantly hear that I don't "look" like a person who owns snakes. There's always that added shock when they hear how many and that I own boas as well, as if they are man-eating monsters that I couldn't handle I don't understand it either, I always laugh it off or kill them with my knowledge on it
    They hear boa and think violent constricting monster! I say 6 foot they hear 60!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazi View Post
    On the corns discussion, I know a lot of girls here never go past corn snakes and beardies except for the occasional leo. I've had a lot of female snake keepers (all corns) ask me what I'm going to do with Quetzal once he gets to be 8+ft long. I just tell them I'd be impressed if he ever got to that length in the first place.

I think the stereotype is just that girls are supposed to like cute fluffy mammals and boys are supposed to like the big and tough reptiles, so girls get poodles and boys get burms. Kinda like the stereotype that men aren't supposed to have fluffy froofroo little dogs, and girls shouldn't have dobes and mastiffs. So a lot of young female keepers fall into the trap of only staying with beginner reptiles such as corns and beardies and never push past that.

I might not be the best person to ask about gender roles, but when I get my own house instead of an apartment, I'm totally getting some monitors (but first some easier lizards to start me off, of course).
    Why does the size always seen skewed in peoples minds? BPs are eight foot monsters and sand boas are sooo long? But they will also picture a garter snake as being this itty little thing...How does that work?
    Last edited by Cendalla; 05-02-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    In my experience with the people I know, nearly all of the girls like that I have snakes, think they're cool, cute, etc. and all of my boys give me crap and call me weird. I literally don't have a single male friend that likes snakes, while I haven't had a girl give a negative reaction yet.

More snake-loving ladies for me. So glad I'm not in middle school anymore and don't give a damn about other people's image of me.

You look like you're a normal lady because you probably are a normal lady. I stopped trying to judge people based on their 'style' when I left high school. Some people never grow up, though... and others don't have anything more interesting to say than the first cliche 1 liner that pops in their head
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cendalla View Post
    Why does the size always seen skewed in peoples minds? BPs are eight foot monsters and sand boas are sooo long? But they will also picture a garter snake as being this itty little thing...How does that work?
    Going by my own experiences, all of the wild snakes I've seen have been coiled and thus seem smaller (black rats, nasty buggers), babies (copperheads, garters), or just itty colubrids (ringnecks, redbellies). Adding to that, I don't think I've met many snake keepers here who have had their current animals for more than 2 years, but they were snake keepers for a while and have animals die after a year or two in their care (warning flag anyone?), it sort of makes sense. I'm sure everyone's experienced that guy that walks around the city shirtless with his burm draped around his shoulders, and so everyone equates all pythons to that. But those cute little garter babies and their (severely stunted, malnourished, and young) corn snakes are so small, they'll never hurt anyone right?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Quetzal)
    0.1 Spotted Cream Tabby, Moggie (Saffron)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazi For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    I get lots of fascinating responses to my snakes. Interestingly enough, if you don't count all the "ewww gross scary" reactions which I get from both genders equally, I actually notice that girls I've told are much more positive and inquisitive. Males usually seem to be pretty unreactive altogether, for whatever reason. Could be coincidence of course.

But in any case, I don't "look like a snake keeper" either! I suppose I just look like the 5'3" teenage girl that I am.

(Sent from my Android via Tapatalk)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I'm not really sure how people judge me in regards to my pets. I'm an animal biologist pre-vet, so all the exotic pets go hand in hand.

But I would say I don't look like many other things. For example, I'm a car junkie and build my own computers. I also like playing football/baseball. I bet most people wouldn't see that as I look like a book nerd.

One funny thing every night I hear is, "WHOA! You're a girl!?!?" when I speak into my gaming mic during a first person co-op shooter game.
    haha....

My boyfriend thinks he may be gay since I'm so boy-ish... LOL

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (05-02-2012)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast