Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

2 members and 2,918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Wow, that is your first post here?

Anyway, the reason to do it seems to be that you may save the animal. Low survival rate is not zero survival. If we did it your way, you would instantly cull them without giving a chance for survival?

IF it was simply an issue of adherence to the GI tract, then they would prolapse and bleed to death via the vent. The splitting actually likely occurs related to the size and shape of the mass.

Herpsss, I applaud your strong opinion here, but I think your anger in misplaced. Welcome to BP.net, and I suggest a proper introduction in the proper section.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Herpsss, great way to show your knowledge on YOUR FIRST POST
    Old wise words: "Sometimes it is better not to speak and appear knowledgeable than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Thanks

Re: Hardened yolks, hard belly, mass in Ball python hatchlings

Herpsss does have a good point. Although I appreciate Robyn's thread in that it describes this unfortunate occurrence, I don't agree with Robyn's comment :
    Unless a vet has specifically dealt with that in the past, successfully, it is unlikely they would be all that helpful, so I wouldn't recommend a vet visit as a matter of course.
    I recently had to deal with my first hard-belly, and chose to operate on the snake myself. I believe most knowledgeable vets would be more skilled and better equipped than dealing with hard-belly than I was, but I still managed to save his life and he is currently thriving. If I had followed the advice given in this thread, my snake would most likely have died. The hard-belly lump that I extracted was quite a bit larger than the one in the picture and never would have passed through his cloaca.

I'm not opposed to people trying to gently pass the mass out of the cloaca, but if it doesn't work I wouldn't suggest forcing it to the point of tearing the snake. Instead, I would advise seeking out professional help to surgically remove the mass.

Here's the link which describes my experience.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpsss View Post
    So has anyone done histopathology on this mass to see what it is???
    My thoughts exactly, I know the pics are old but were there or have any labs been done to try and find out what it is and or what may cause it? If not by the Op then hopefully someone else can chime in. Possibly leading to how or whether it can be prevented or if it's genetic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Herpsss does have a good point. Although I appreciate Robyn's thread in that it describes this unfortunate occurrence, I don't agree with Robyn's comment :

I recently had to deal with my first hard-belly, and chose to operate on the snake myself. I believe most knowledgeable vets would be more skilled and better equipped than dealing with hard-belly than I was, but I still managed to save his life and he is currently thriving. If I had followed the advice given in this thread, my snake would most likely have died. The hard-belly lump that I extracted was quite a bit larger than the one in the picture and never would have passed through his cloaca.

I'm not opposed to people trying to gently pass the mass out of the cloaca, but if it doesn't work I wouldn't suggest forcing it to the point of tearing the snake. Instead, I would advise seeking out professional help to surgically remove the mass.

Here's the link which describes my experience.
    I can see how that would rub you wrong, my apologies for casting such a broad net. I thought it was already getting too wordy.

There are some great vets out there, and some with solid reptile experience, no doubt. But the majority of vet visit stories I see are with vets that have little to no reptile experience, and end up performing procedures (for a fee) that have little relevance to proper captive husbandry or reptile recovery.

The local vet we use takes the same approach we do, and would have a solid chance of success, as you did. But I think he (and you) are the exception, not the rule.

As for Herpsss- awesome first post! What is your other user name here at BPnet?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (05-15-2012),Jabberwocky Dragons (05-02-2012),PitOnTheProwl (05-02-2012),Slim (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    I can see how that would rub you wrong, my apologies for casting such a broad net. I thought it was already getting too wordy.

There are some great vets out there, and some with solid reptile experience, no doubt. But the majority of vet visit stories I see are with vets that have little to no reptile experience, and end up performing procedures (for a fee) that have little relevance to proper captive husbandry or reptile recovery.

The local vet we use takes the same approach we do, and would have a solid chance of success, as you did. But I think he (and you) are the exception, not the rule.
    I agree with you that a large number of vets having limited reptile experience. One of the reasons why I decided to perform the procedure myself was because of a negative (and costly) experience I had with a local exotic animal vet in our area. However, I believe it is probably worth the time to research the vets in your area to make that determination before you attempt the procedure you suggested. Many vets are capable, and even if they do not have the experience dealing with hard-belly, I imagine many vets would be willing to listen to their customers when it comes to procedural advice. Vets at least have the proper equipment, training, and skill to perform a relatively simple procedure. If caught early enough, I believe the snake has a much better chance of survival if operated on than if someone tried to push out a large mass that would injure the snake.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Herpsss, Interesting first post.

You realize this bit of tissue is likely adhered to the wall of the intestine/bowel and then you are tearing through the intestine/bowel, through the body wall and the skin when you "split them open"
    What facts do you have to back up this statement? What makes you think that anything that can be moved down the intestinal tract with gentle pressure is adhered to the intestine wall?

Lets start a snake splitting forum! Disgusting, irresponsible, horrible
    Hyperbole much
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Alurii (03-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Herpsss, Interesting first post.

What facts do you have to back up this statement? What makes you think that anything that can be moved down the intestinal tract with gentle pressure is adhered to the intestine wall?

Hyperbole much
    Must be one of those "Normal" people we see in Walmart lmao!

Herpsss you cant just come in here trying to start crap bud. Rubbing everyone the wrong way on your first post is just asking for trouble.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    He One-Starred the thread as "terrible" and then skidaddled.

LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey guys...let's not turn a difference of opinion into a game of who can throw out the most clever insults.

Yes, it's quite obvious the "Herpsss" person signed up with the sole purpose of bashing this thread. That can be pointed out without childish insults or borderline name calling that skirted the line only because no one wants the infraction points. And so long as "Herpsss" isn't breaking any rules (that we know of) then he/she is free to register and post their opinion like anyone else. There's no rule that says they have to agree with the majority to sign up and participate.
    -- Judy

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

adamjeffery (05-17-2012),AlexisFitzy (08-06-2014),Valentine Pirate (05-03-2012)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast