Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 214

14 members and 200 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 63,758
Threads: 237,686
Posts: 2,468,697
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, CallyMerritt
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Albino?

  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran Anatopism's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-13-2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 473 Times in 280 Posts
    Images: 6

    Albino?

    I have a couple baby ASFs that are solid white. Their older sibling from another mom is very very light tan (sorry for the lack of proper ASF coloration terminology), and almost looks pure white but does have a lighter blaze that is barely noticeable. These other two look solid white. No blaze, no pied patterning, I've tried looking in different light and thinking maybe they'll change as they get older, but so far from birth until a few weeks old, they are still white. I could have sworn I read on this or another forum that there are not truly pure white ASFs. Is it that my eyes just suck, or was this source of information incorrect?

    I'll get photos up as soon as I can. I'm always posting from work or my phone, and will have to make a point of posting from a real computer where I can get the photos up. Just looking for information at the moment

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran MikeM75's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2011
    Location
    Weatherford, Tx
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 54 Times in 43 Posts
    I am no expert but i would love to see pictures of these guys!

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran Anatopism's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-13-2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 473 Times in 280 Posts
    Images: 6

    Re: Albino?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM75 View Post
    I am no expert but i would love to see pictures of these guys!
    Will try to get a photo tonight. I've been hoping for ASFs that look like little badgers.. witht he white cheeks and forehead blaze, but these little guys are neat! Been getting some neat colors with the Norways that I haven't seen before too, some beige and a dumbo black eyed white. Boyfriend was not as excited about it as I am. haha.

  4. #4
    BPnet Veteran Rhasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-06-2010
    Location
    Mechanicsville Virginia
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Images: 5
    There is no such thing as albino in ASFs at this time. The gene c/c represents albino in rodents, and has not been seen in ASFs.

    There are such things as PEW and REW (pink and ruby eyed white) ASFs, which can be mistaken for albino. There are also argente, which is pink eyed agouti ASFs, which some people mistake for albino.

    Here are photos of the varieties I mentioned.

    Argente



    Pink eyed white




    Ruby eyed white

  5. #5
    BPnet Veteran Anatopism's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-13-2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 473 Times in 280 Posts
    Images: 6

    Re: Albino?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    There is no such thing as albino in ASFs at this time. The gene c/c represents albino in rodents, and has not been seen in ASFs.

    There are such things as PEW and REW (pink and ruby eyed white) ASFs, which can be mistaken for albino. There are also argente, which is pink eyed agouti ASFs, which some people mistake for albino.
    Thanks Rhasputin! What exactly determines a PEW vs an albino? In Norway rats, PEW/Albino is used interchangeably, but what is the difference with ASFs?

  6. #6
    BPnet Veteran Rhasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-06-2010
    Location
    Mechanicsville Virginia
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Images: 5
    An albino is always a PEW, but a PEW is not always an albino.

    What this means is, that albino (c/c) created an animal who is white, with pink eyes, always. But there is more than one way to create an animal who is white with pink eyes.

    PEW ASFs are created by breeding W/W (this is an animal who is homozygous for dominant white variegation, also called headspot, badger, and saddle depending on the effects) to have fewer and fewer coloured spots. When you breed W/W selectively for long enough, the colored markings progressively shrinks on the animal, and you are left with a inconstantly white animal.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

    Anatopism (05-02-2012),MikeM75 (04-30-2012)

  8. #7
    BPnet Veteran Anatopism's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-13-2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 473 Times in 280 Posts
    Images: 6

    Re: Albino?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    An albino is always a PEW, but a PEW is not always an albino.

    What this means is, that albino (c/c) created an animal who is white, with pink eyes, always. But there is more than one way to create an animal who is white with pink eyes.

    PEW ASFs are created by breeding W/W (this is an animal who is homozygous for dominant white variegation, also called headspot, badger, and saddle depending on the effects) to have fewer and fewer coloured spots. When you breed W/W selectively for long enough, the colored markings progressively shrinks on the animal, and you are left with a inconstantly white animal.
    So other than breeding/proving them out, there isn't really a way to know if it's PEW vs. Albino by looking at them (unless of course there is a patch of color somewhere)? The two white babies came from two parents that were low white pied argente, and all the other siblings are pied agouti.

  9. #8
    BPnet Veteran Rhasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-06-2010
    Location
    Mechanicsville Virginia
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Images: 5
    Yeah, there's pretty much no way to tell if they're high white PEW or albino PEW by looking at them.

    However, if you breed 2 albinos together, you should get nothing but albinos in the litter. . .

    Unfortunately this also works for high white PEW, though typically you will get some with small argente (tan/yellow/orange ish) spots in the litter.
    My PEWs have completely stopped producing babies with spots at this point.

  10. #9
    BPnet Veteran Anatopism's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-13-2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 473 Times in 280 Posts
    Images: 6

    Re: Albino?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Yeah, there's pretty much no way to tell if they're high white PEW or albino PEW by looking at them.

    However, if you breed 2 albinos together, you should get nothing but albinos in the litter. . .

    Unfortunately this also works for high white PEW, though typically you will get some with small argente (tan/yellow/orange ish) spots in the litter.
    My PEWs have completely stopped producing babies with spots at this point.
    Interesting. Thanks for all the info! Once these boys get a little older, hopefully I'll see what kinds of babies come out. Of the siblings to these boys, I believe the rest were all pied agouti, and one was pied argente.

  11. #10
    BPnet Senior Member don15681's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-07-2009
    Location
    Saltsburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,410
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 530 Times in 387 Posts
    Images: 108

    Re: Albino?

    here's pic of all white with dark eyes




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1