Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,230

2 members and 2,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Albino?

Thanks

Albino?

I have a couple baby ASFs that are solid white. Their older sibling from another mom is very very light tan (sorry for the lack of proper ASF coloration terminology), and almost looks pure white but does have a lighter blaze that is barely noticeable. These other two look solid white. No blaze, no pied patterning, I've tried looking in different light and thinking maybe they'll change as they get older, but so far from birth until a few weeks old, they are still white. I could have sworn I read on this or another forum that there are not truly pure white ASFs. Is it that my eyes just suck, or was this source of information incorrect?

I'll get photos up as soon as I can. I'm always posting from work or my phone, and will have to make a point of posting from a real computer where I can get the photos up. Just looking for information at the moment

Thanks
    I am no expert but i would love to see pictures of these guys!

Thanks

Re: Albino?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM75 View Post
    I am no expert but i would love to see pictures of these guys!
    Will try to get a photo tonight. I've been hoping for ASFs that look like little badgers.. witht he white cheeks and forehead blaze, but these little guys are neat! Been getting some neat colors with the Norways that I haven't seen before too, some beige and a dumbo black eyed white. Boyfriend was not as excited about it as I am. haha.

Thanks
    There is no such thing as albino in ASFs at this time. The gene c/c represents albino in rodents, and has not been seen in ASFs.

There are such things as PEW and REW (pink and ruby eyed white) ASFs, which can be mistaken for albino. There are also argente, which is pink eyed agouti ASFs, which some people mistake for albino.

Here are photos of the varieties I mentioned.

Argente

Pink eyed white

Ruby eyed white

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    There is no such thing as albino in ASFs at this time. The gene c/c represents albino in rodents, and has not been seen in ASFs.

There are such things as PEW and REW (pink and ruby eyed white) ASFs, which can be mistaken for albino. There are also argente, which is pink eyed agouti ASFs, which some people mistake for albino.
    Thanks Rhasputin! What exactly determines a PEW vs an albino? In Norway rats, PEW/Albino is used interchangeably, but what is the difference with ASFs?

Thanks
    An albino is always a PEW, but a PEW is not always an albino.

What this means is, that albino (c/c) created an animal who is white, with pink eyes, always. But there is more than one way to create an animal who is white with pink eyes.

PEW ASFs are created by breeding W/W (this is an animal who is homozygous for dominant white variegation, also called headspot, badger, and saddle depending on the effects) to have fewer and fewer coloured spots. When you breed W/W selectively for long enough, the colored markings progressively shrinks on the animal, and you are left with a inconstantly white animal.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (05-02-2012),MikeM75 (04-30-2012)

Thanks

An albino is always a PEW, but a PEW is not always an albino.

What this means is, that albino (c/c) created an animal who is white, with pink eyes, always. But there is more than one way to create an animal who is white with pink eyes.

PEW ASFs are created by breeding W/W (this is an animal who is homozygous for dominant white variegation, also called headspot, badger, and saddle depending on the effects) to have fewer and fewer coloured spots. When you breed W/W selectively for long enough, the colored markings progressively shrinks on the animal, and you are left with a inconstantly white animal.
    So other than breeding/proving them out, there isn't really a way to know if it's PEW vs. Albino by looking at them (unless of course there is a patch of color somewhere)? The two white babies came from two parents that were low white pied argente, and all the other siblings are pied agouti.

Thanks
    Yeah, there's pretty much no way to tell if they're high white PEW or albino PEW by looking at them.

However, if you breed 2 albinos together, you should get nothing but albinos in the litter. . .

Unfortunately this also works for high white PEW, though typically you will get some with small argente (tan/yellow/orange ish) spots in the litter.
    My PEWs have completely stopped producing babies with spots at this point.

Thanks

Yeah, there's pretty much no way to tell if they're high white PEW or albino PEW by looking at them.

However, if you breed 2 albinos together, you should get nothing but albinos in the litter. . .

Unfortunately this also works for high white PEW, though typically you will get some with small argente (tan/yellow/orange ish) spots in the litter.
    My PEWs have completely stopped producing babies with spots at this point.
    Interesting. Thanks for all the info! Once these boys get a little older, hopefully I'll see what kinds of babies come out. Of the siblings to these boys, I believe the rest were all pied agouti, and one was pied argente.

Thanks

here's pic of all white with dark eyes