Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

0 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Baby chicks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Baby chicks!

So my mother has wanted chickens for a while but never thought my step dad would agree. Well he did, and converted their unused shed behind the house into a nice chicken coop. My mom brought home her first three (of nine) chicks this weekend! They are just the cutest things ever. Unfortunately, one has already failed to thrive and passed away but I guess that's normal when it comes to babies. The other two seem to be doing great though. These two are australorps, and she's coming home with 6 more (2 different types) on Wednesday, but I figured I'd share pictures of their cute little faces!
    Here's my son with one of the chicks

My little sister with one of the chicks

Last edited by Skittles1101; 04-30-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Baby chicks!

Chicks, and chickens are awesome. They usually say if you want 5 chickens, get 6 chicks. Unfortunately they do sometimes not make it for whatever reason. Tell her to get some Buff Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex, they are very sweet, pretty, and lay large eggs. If she gets any Amerucanas, tell her to watch out, they are crazy. Nice with a quirky personality, but a little dense and crazy. They lay the prettiest green eggs though.

Oh, and when they are older, tell her to give them grapes for a treat. Mine absolutely love them, and its the funniest thing watching them try to play keep away with their grapes!
    Last edited by DooLittle; 04-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrDooLittle View Post
    Chicks, and chickens are awesome. They usually say if you want 5 chickens, get 6 chicks. Unfortunately they do sometimes not make it for whatever reason. Tell her to get some Buff Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex, they are very sweet, pretty, and lay large eggs. If she gets any Amerucanas, tell her to watch out, they are crazy. Nice with a quirky personality, but a little dense and crazy. They lay the prettiest green eggs though.

Oh, and when they are older, tell her to give them grapes for a treat. Mine absolutely love them, and its the funniest thing watching them try to play keep away with their grapes!
    I think those are the other two she's getting actually! I just couldn't remember what they were called lol. She also told me if (when lol) I graduate basic training and make my way home, she'll let me get a silkie chick and keep it there with her chickens lol. I want them because they are so ridiculous looking, I mean c'mon! Who cares if their eggs are teeny

I'll tell her about the grapes, I bet that's a sight to see haha.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

I wanted a silkie, they are awesome. Only problem is that they only sell them strait run, meaning in-sexed, and I can't have roosters where I live. So I decided to not take the chance on falling in love with it to find out it was a roo, and having to get rid of it. Chickens are awesome, tell her Congrats! She will love them. Also, chickens once established, don't always take new additions to the flock well. They can and sometimes will, peck a new girl to death. Better get your silkie in now so the group can grow up and establish order while they are all young.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (04-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Get a frizzle cochin. Those are completely nuts looking but sweet birds.

Don't over handle the baby chicks. They have air pockets along the side of their bodies that are very delicate. I never allowed folks to handle chicks until they were a little older and sturdier myself. As long as they have a draft-free warm spot, plenty of correct food and water, they should thrive.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

They are just too cute!
    Last edited by ballpythonluvr; 04-30-2012 at 09:33 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post: