Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,558

1 members and 2,557 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Infrared Bulb

Thanks
    Is it safe to use an Infrared bulb to heat my BP's inclosure? I was told to us a UV red bulb, but what about the Infrared?
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Banned
    Thanks
    There are two sides of the spectrum. At the farthest to the right you have red, or infrared. On the completely opposite side you have ultraviolet, or UV. So how can an infrared bulb be UV....

I use infrared, and love them. They provide night time light for my viewing pleasure, they work well, and can run 24/7.

Interesting fact about infrared... When an object is warm it emmits small ammount of infrared light, ever wonder why a hot wire glows? So much heat that it makes enough light for us to see. Well anyway, a bp's heat pits are used to view these small ammounts of light. Giving them a heat vision, that's how they find prey. Night vision cameras work the same way.

Thanks
    Ok....need some input here.....

Monty Joe will not come out at night if the Infrared light is on. I have tested it several times. If the light is on he wont come out, if he is out and I turn it on he makes a quick retreat to his hide. I turn it off, and within a few minutes he is back out. Ive only had the bulb for 2 nights, but he refuses to come out with it on, or stay out when I turn it on whil he is out.

Does he see the "RED" light which supposively they dont? Or is he seeing things in his tank glowing like Ballkingdom stated in the above post?

Im confused.....This bulb does a very good job of heating the tank, much better than regular bulbs. But if he is going to refuse to come out at night because of it guess I will have to go to plan B.

Let me know what you guy's think
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What you might end up having to do is to go to one of the ceramic heaters, which only produce heat and no light at all.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

Thanks
    I picked up an infrared(was using a plain red flood) when I picked up my Bp (still unamed) and I noticed a big change on the humidity control. It stays at 60 for pretty much the whole day and night with maybe one misting required if it drops to 45 by the next morning. The Bp roams around, no problem. His previous set up consisted of just a bottom heat source and a flourescent, so I would think that if it drove him nuts, he would stay hiding more.............
    Temps haven't changed with bulb switch, just humidity. Interesting, don't you think?

Banned
    Thanks
    Ceramics have a lot better way of making surface temperatures increase, not the ambient temp.... That could explain it.